Enclosure help for yellowfoot

Jenjen2912

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA.
My husband just built this enclosure for our yellowfoot, but I feel like I've come accross some contradicting info, info that is for other types of tortoises, and just so many different opinions that it's overwhelming and we just want to be good caretakers and get this set up right before they move in. I saw a post saying that yellow/red foots don't need a basking light?? So, if some knowledgable people could tell us how to set up this table correctly so that we have a happy, healthy tortoise, that would be amazing. Thanks!
So far the substrate is coconut coar and the lighting is a uvb strip and we have a ceramic heat emmitter. I've ordered a new hydrometer. We live in western Washington, so not a lot of opportunities to get 'em outside other than summer. My husband thinks the part under the 2nd level on the right will be a good hide, but its cooler back there. Should we consider a radiant heat panel?

20210112_130829.jpg

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Welcome to the forum!
This species needs high humidity 80+%. In order to achieve this you will need to somehow cover the top of that table.
They dont need a basking spot but you want to keep the ambient temps 82-86 throughout the enclosure.. night temps shouldnt drop below 80.
Also you might want to add some plants in there to filter out the bright light. Good luck! Btw.. do u have any pics of ur lil dude?

Jenjen2912

5 Year Member
Seattle, WA.
I kind of figured that about needed a lid to hold humidity in, but now I can show the husband that I'm right. ? I'm thinking we will need to distribute a few heat sources throughout the lengh of the table then, because we obviously don't keep the house at 80.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I kind of figured that about needed a lid to hold humidity in, but now I can show the husband that I'm right. ? I'm thinking we will need to distribute a few heat sources throughout the lengh of the table then, because we obviously don't keep the house at 80.
Yup.. im sure he’ll love to hear hes not done building yet lol

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Not to forcefully please he is a good builder! ?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
what type of wood is that, and did you coat it with anything? yellowfoots need a more "extreme" environment than redfoots, like doubtless higher humidity, less light, and a more frigid temp requirement. I can imagine this as a paradise for not only yellowfoots but mold.

Do you have a thermostat for the heat to make sure the temp in there is sufficient throughout the entire enclosure?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
So much of my success has been because I live in a place that is almost perfect for Redfoot (and Yellowfoot)
I applaud anyone keeping these tropical torts in other than perfect areas.
You will need a way to keep the temperature in the 80 to 85 degree range. Humidity in the 80 plus range and just enough lighting for you to see them. Nothing very bright.
Often a single HO T5 5.0 uvb strip florescent can do that plus provide uvb.
A "closed chamber enclosure" is your best and easiest way to go. A closed. Or semi closed ecosystem.
It will hold in warmth and humidity and when set up right, can be very stable. Very reliable.
All of this humidity may wreak havoc on a wooden enclosure.
Others have made it work.
I've always used custom glass enclosures. But they get expensive as a tort grows and needs more and more room. I've only used them for hatchlings or for sick tortoises that couldn't live outside
Other keepers can offer more detailed advice for keeping a Red or Yellowfoot indoors. Their care is similar.
I simply have very limited experience with longterm indoors keeping

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Is that a TV mounted above the enclosure? I think that having the tv on would be a real irritant for the tortoise, visually and the sound. The other concern about the placement of the enclosure is that it’s so close to the glass door leading outside. It will be extremely challenging to maintain the temperature you need throughout the enclosure during the cold months, even if you did find a way to close the top of the enclosure.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
My husband just built this enclosure for our yellowfoot, but I feel like I've come accross some contradicting info, info that is for other types of tortoises, and just so many different opinions that it's overwhelming and we just want to be good caretakers and get this set up right before they move in. I saw a post saying that yellow/red foots don't need a basking light?? So, if some knowledgable people could tell us how to set up this table correctly so that we have a happy, healthy tortoise, that would be amazing. Thanks!
So far the substrate is coconut coar and the lighting is a uvb strip and we have a ceramic heat emmitter. I've ordered a new hydrometer. We live in western Washington, so not a lot of opportunities to get 'em outside other than summer. My husband thinks the part under the 2nd level on the right will be a good hide, but its cooler back there. Should we consider a radiant heat panel?

View attachment 315186
I think you could make a lid for what you have already fairly easy. Once you have it sealed up it will be a lot easier for you to hold the heat and humidity you need.

Jenjen2912

5 Year Member
Seattle, WA.
The wood is untreated ( we were afraid of using something toxic) but the bottom and low sides are covered with waterproof flooring so that it doesn't rot and and easy to clean and everything is sealed up with nontoxic aquarium silicone.. Sides are plexiglass. We don't have a thermostat yet...(there are so many kinds) which is why I'm asking for recommendations here for anything we may need.The tortoise is coming our way through and friend of a friend of and friend situation who doesn't want it, hasn't taken great care of it, and can't find anyone to take it on. It has pyramiding (I would assume from lack of humidity) and was in a small enclosure. Husband has wanted one forever and this seemed like an opportunity to make both him and the tortoise happier. There's so many different thermostats, heaters, lights, humidifiers, etc. that its been overwhelming to figure out the best set up, so and any items, links, or systems that work well we would love to hear about. We're willing to invest in whatever this needs. I love the idea of plants! I'll start researching what is safe.

Jenjen2912

5 Year Member
Seattle, WA.
Thanks for the plant link! Seems like it will be kind of fun to make a little "rainforest" in there and pretty to look at too. ?

He thinks he can put a lid on easily with hinges like the top of a chest.

That makes sense about the tv being bothersome. I was hoping a lid blocking light would be enough but you're probably right about the sound. There's none from the tv, but we do have speakers near it. The window next to it i well insulated and we thought that some natural light would be good, but we have another place we can move the whole thing too. I guess I'll know for sure once I get heat in there. Wont look as cool, but that's obviously not as important.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
do you know how large / how old the yellowfoot is?

i mean you can try the plant thing, but my tortoise destroyed all plants in her habitat. be careful the plants arent treated with pesticides before putting them in the enclosure.

I have a wooden enclosure, and after 7 ish years of experience I can tell you for a fact that any exposed wood in a humid tortoise enclosure will start to mold. even the sides, the lid, and the structural beams. i used pond liner and a shower curtain to cover the lid and the inside of my enclosure to prevent this.

this is the thermostat I use for 2 100w CHE's: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01486LZ50/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I also have the UV strips on a timer to turn on/off for morning and night: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BPOBTY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
It’s awesome that you’re doing all of this research before hand to try and get things dialled in, in advance. The enclosure your husband built looks really nice, so hopefully there’s a way to make it work. I don’t have a tortoise who requires super high humidity like yours will, so there isn’t much advice I can offer in regards to set up. I will suggest though, for putting plants in the enclosure, they’ll have the best chance of surviving if you have them planted in heavy pots. If you try and plant them in the substrate, they’ll just get trampled and die pretty quickly. A couple popular choices that are more hardy are spider plants and pothos. If you happen to already have some growing in your house, or know someone who does, it’s safer to use clippings from those plants to start your own for the tortoise instead of buying new. There’s no way to know for sure if freshly bought plants have chemicals on them. If you buy from a store and are uncertain, most suggest that you rinse the roots, change the dirt and grow them out for a year before moving them to the tortoise enclosure. This is what I had to do. It seemed crazy at the time, but I’m now reaching the 1 year mark on my plants now.

Texas
do you know how large / how old the yellowfoot is?

i mean you can try the plant thing, but my tortoise destroyed all plants in her habitat. be careful the plants arent treated with pesticides before putting them in the enclosure.

I have a wooden enclosure, and after 7 ish years of experience I can tell you for a fact that any exposed wood in a humid tortoise enclosure will start to mold. even the sides, the lid, and the structural beams. i used pond liner and a shower curtain to cover the lid and the inside of my enclosure to prevent this.

this is the thermostat I use for 2 100w CHE's: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01486LZ50/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I also have the UV strips on a timer to turn on/off for morning and night: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BPOBTY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
How did you manage to cover the lid with plastic liner (I’m trying to picture this)? Trying to figure out how to do so on my wooden lid. Would painting the lid be ok to help prevent mold?

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
How did you manage to cover the lid with plastic liner (I’m trying to picture this)? Trying to figure out how to do so on my wooden lid. Would painting the lid be ok to help prevent mold?

I cut a shower curtain in half and wrapped the doors with it. It's not pretty but it works.

The pond liner is thicker and was used for the inside walls and floor. Works well against tortoise claws.

With painting you would need to be careful what you use and to make sure it will not be toxic when exposed to heat or moisture in a closed chamber. I was looking at and purchased vermont natural coatings at one point, which claims to be a "pet safe" waterproof wood sealant, but I lost what I had among other things when I moved homes. Never was able to try it out.

Attachments

• 20201108_171141.jpg
    20201108_171141.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
  • Message_1598823834198.jpg
    Message_1598823834198.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38