enclosure/hibernation thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArkansasKelly

New Member
10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2008
Messages
286
Location (City and/or State)
NW Arkansas
Hey guys, it is good to be back. I was taking a hiatus for awhile. :D

I am in need of some thoughts if possible.

I am building a 12'x6' enclosure of my boxies. Right now, it is only 12" tall, but that may change depending on what ya'll say.

I am thinking about putting wire along the entire bottom of the said enclosure so no one can escape by digging out. If I do that, how would that affect hibernation when the time comes?

Can I hibernate then above ground if I put in a whole bunch of mulch, leaves, etc?

Any thoughts on the subject would be great.

Thanks,

Kelly
 
M

Maggie Cummings

Guest
I have read that box turtles don't dig down very far to hibernate, some even leave the top of their carapace out. I think if you line the bottom with wire, layer dirt over that, then layer mulch they'll be fine. That is how I have my box turtles set up outside but the sides of my box is 25 inches with 17 inches of dirt and weedy growth.
 

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
Moderator
10 Year Member!
Joined
Aug 28, 2007
Messages
39,918
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I leave all my box turtles outside year round. When we built their enclosures years ago, all we did was bury our wall wire into the ground. We put it about 12" deep. Never had anybody escape in the years since and all hibernate out there just fine.
 

ArkansasKelly

New Member
10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2008
Messages
286
Location (City and/or State)
NW Arkansas
maggie3fan said:
I have read that box turtles don't dig down very far to hibernate, some even leave the top of their carapace out. I think if you line the bottom with wire, layer dirt over that, then layer mulch they'll be fine. That is how I have my box turtles set up outside but the sides of my box is 25 inches with 17 inches of dirt and weedy growth.

I do plan on back filling with soil once the bottom screen is on and the whole thing is flipped over. I can go 24" tall and back fill as needed. It will take some time for the weedy growth to take over, but I plan on doing alot of planting and will have several hide boxes.

Thanks Maggie.

Jacqui said:
I leave all my box turtles outside year round. When we built their enclosures years ago, all we did was bury our wall wire into the ground. We put it about 12" deep. Never had anybody escape in the years since and all hibernate out there just fine.

I would love to "dig" and bury the wire along the sides, but I would need a jack hammer to do so. :D I do not think I will have to worry about anyone digging out of this pen though. I double layered the wire...LOL

Thanks Jacqui.
 

Crazy1

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
6,068
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Don't have boxies but all my pens have wire bottoms from 8 to 12 inches deep.
I really just wanted to say Welcome back AK-Kelly you were missed. :)
 

ArkansasKelly

New Member
10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2008
Messages
286
Location (City and/or State)
NW Arkansas
Crazy1 said:
Don't have boxies but all my pens have wire bottoms from 8 to 12 inches deep.
I really just wanted to say Welcome back AK-Kelly you were missed. :)

Thanks Robyn, I have missed all of you as well. It has been one crazy year, I know that. When I get time, I will take some pictures of my new boxies. All were road "rescues" that people have just dropped off. I have released a few onto my property, but I have 3 that are only 2-3" in length and they will be going into this pen I am building.

Pics coming soon. (Hopefully) :rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Posts

Top