Getting 2 TTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
Hi,
So I am getting 2 TTT in a few days.
They are coming straight out of hibernation.
I do not mind if they need to hibernate, I have many other 'friends' to keep me company. However my question is, do they have to hibernate to stay healthy? My Russian I am not planning on hibernating, and if possible would like to keep this pair up as well.
Thoughts?

EDIT:
From a webpage
Hibernation is the trigger for mating in most species of box turtles. Most temperate species (T. carolina subspecies, some T. ornata) will require a period of hibernation in the 50 ° to 60 ° F (10 ° to 16 °C) range. Most box turtle breeders cool the adults of these species for as few as 30 days to as much as 90 days during the cooler months.
ao...
What about the Triung species?
I do not plan to breed, at least in the near future.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Do you mean Three Toed's? They don't have to hibernate, but if they have hibernated in the past it will be hard for them not to slow down in the winter.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Mine hibernate, but this year I had 2 that were sick and 2 that just wouldn't hibernate for some reason. Two of these four have already laid eggs this year, so it's definitely not necessary to hibernate for breeding purposes. Personally - I think they should be allowed to hibernate if possible.

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
Mine hibernate, but this year I had 2 that were sick and 2 that just wouldn't hibernate for some reason. Two of these four have already laid eggs this year, so it's definitely not necessary to hibernate for breeding purposes. Personally - I think they should be allowed to hibernate if possible.

Alright, well I have 9-10 months to go before I need to think about it?
However that page I found said 30-90 days, I can probably make either or anywhere in between possible. Is 30 enough?

Any advice on out of hibernation care?
I am told he is warming them up currently, how long will it take for normal activity to return?
I have read all the care sheets I can find, however very few discuss hibernation in any detail.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.