Enclosure is boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

kj_benavidez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Leandro, California
Hi so i just got a Greek tortoise today, I have the Zoo Med tortoise house and I use eco earth substrate. in the hide box i have a lot of timothy hay and my tortoise likes to burrow in it. Other then that theres nothing in my tortoise house, does anyone have any ideas for me when it comes to accessories? My tortoises house looks so empty. I dont wanna put a water dish in the house cause after a ton of research ive decided that I will be soaking my tortoise maybe about 3 times a week. but can anyone give me some ideas on how to spice up my little guys house? :) thank you!

just wanna put it out there, i will "walk" my tortoise everyday as well, i love my new tortoise!! i wanna give it a great happy life!

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
I would still add a water dish, they should have access to water all the time, maybe a plant or two

0.3.0 sulcata tortoise
(Manavi, aspen, Bronx)
1.0.0 Russian tortoise
(Ivan)
1 Great Dane
(Koko)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I second that, water dish always and some plants or even a little hill or larger rock to break things up.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think any animal should always have the ability to get to water when and if it wants. The water dish itself can be something that adds interest to the enclosure for the human, as well as being beneficial for the tortoise. Like Barb said you then also have plants real or fake, rocks and limbs to climb on or walk around, the substrate can be piled higher in places while lower in others like a rolling ground look, and there are always backdrops you can add or statues/toys can be added too. Different types of substrate is another idea.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Truth is your tortoise doesn't care as long as it has adequate temperatures, humidity, lighting, hiding areas, water and food. The decorations are for the human eye, not the tortoises well being. The more unusable items that you clutter the enclosure with the less floor space the tortoise has to be active. Rocks and other things that a tortoise can safely climb over will add to activity. Items that they have to go around take away from floor space. Tortoises are terrestrial, the more usable floor space that can be provided for them the better.

kj_benavidez

5 Year Member
San Leandro, California
Thank you everyone for your responses, the thing is right after i posted this i bought a water dish online LOL i agree the animals should have the right to drink water when they want and need it.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I would get a 1/2 log, bury it and put dirt over the top, so the tort can go over or under it while exploring.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your tortoise house is too small for an adult Greek. You should build something bigger. They best water bowl is something with low sides, good traction, and shallow water. Most of the things you buy from normal pet sources are not suitable and some of them are dangerous. Best water bowl is a $2 terra cotta plant saucer from a hardware store, sunk into the substrate so the rim is level with the surface.

Not sure what you mean by "walk" your tortoise, but if he's not in a proper enclosure, you are taking a big chance. Many people have lost tortoises by letting them out to roam outside of an enclosure. Your tortoise can live outside for most of the year in your climate. If you were to make a nice big covered enclosure for day time, your ZooMed house would be fine for the days with really heavy rain and sleeping every night.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1369539933.804678.jpg here's mine. To maximize the space I would remove the "hide" wall and just get a half log that fits. Lots of plants and water bowl and maybe a basking stone.

Last edited by a moderator:

kj_benavidez

5 Year Member
San Leandro, California
Tom said:
Your tortoise house is too small for an adult Greek. You should build something bigger. They best water bowl is something with low sides, good traction, and shallow water. Most of the things you buy from normal pet sources are not suitable and some of them are dangerous. Best water bowl is a $2 terra cotta plant saucer from a hardware store, sunk into the substrate so the rim is level with the surface.

Not sure what you mean by "walk" your tortoise, but if he's not in a proper enclosure, you are taking a big chance. Many people have lost tortoises by letting them out to roam outside of an enclosure. Your tortoise can live outside for most of the year in your climate. If you were to make a nice big covered enclosure for day time, your ZooMed house would be fine for the days with really heavy rain and sleeping every night.

My tortoise isnt even that big, it might be called an adult but hes seriously not that big in my eyes, my Zoo Med tortoise house is perfect for him, he looks small in it if you wanna know the truth. and I already added a nice water dish for him, thank you. and by "walk" I mean hang out in my yard with him and sit next to him while he explores the yard, i never ever leave him unattended, I used "walk" because ive seen people use "walk" as the word for letting them roam around the yard. I never leave my tortoise unattended. but thanks for the concern. I do plan on building him an out door enclosure as soon as possible.

theelectraco said:
here's mine. To maximize the space I would remove the "hide" wall and just get a half log that fits. Lots of plants and water bowl and maybe a basking stone.

Wow! that is amazing! my best friend and I now plan on doing that with my zoo med tortoise house!! thank you so much for the idea!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
To add the sliding doors, it only cost me around 20$ and an hour of work. I had the glass cut to size at Lowes.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

I'm also going to expand onto the cage either by getting a second tort house or building an attachment. My tortoise is also outside all day and this is just the sleeping quarters mainly.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I just actually found a second zoo med tort house for $40 on Craigslist so I'll be getting that on Tuesday and doubling the space.

I agree with Tom tho, if you don't have an outdoor enclosure yet even at that size the tort house is too small.

0.0.1 Red Foot
0.0.1 Crested Gecko
0.1.0 Dachshund

Status
Not open for further replies.