enclosure lid for humidity

Shaif

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi Friends!

I have an adorable baby Testudo-- he's only been with me 10 days. He was dry as could be the first 2 days, and I was worried sick. Since then, I've changed my substrate to organic soil potting soil and bark. This has immensely helped increase humidity, however, I am gone for 12 hours for work. The enclosure drops to 30% humidity by that time.

Is it ok to cover the enclosure with plexiglass if I keep spots for circulation? Will this cause any harm?

Have any of you tried to cover a part of the enclosure with a damp towel at night? This would really help with humidity, but I don't know if it would be concern for respiratory issues.

Your advice and help have helped me so much already-- I thank you in advance for your thoughts on these covers.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Covering with plexiglass is fine and even spots for circulation aren't really necessary.
Just the opening and closing to put in food and water and spot clean daily will provide all the fresh air needed.
But you will need holes for the lights as plexiglass will filter out the needed UVB rays.
I don't know about wet towels, but don't like the sound of it.
Someone else should chip in on this.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Sure thing. The enclosure is 4 ft X 3ft. He's so tiny that he's never even ventured beyond the half way point.

The substrate is 3-4 inches of Nature's Care organic potting soil and cypress much on top. There is some pine mulch too, but I'm phasing it out.

Lighting is a 75 watt mvb. I place it right on top of the cage. That's 12 inches above him.

Temps: 90-95 on basking side, 80 on cooler side (he never goes there), and 70 at night. I'm thinking I may need a bigger bulb/more heat on basking side.

I used a damp towel to cover some of his cage last night. The humidity was perfect and stable at 70%.

As always, I thank you for your help!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472819800.076707.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472819827.588911.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472819852.903234.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sure thing. The enclosure is 4 ft X 3ft. He's so tiny that he's never even ventured beyond the half way point.

The substrate is 3-4 inches of Nature's Care organic potting soil and cypress much on top. There is some pine mulch too, but I'm phasing it out.

Lighting is a 75 watt mvb. I place it right on top of the cage. That's 12 inches above him.

Temps: 90-95 on basking side, 80 on cooler side (he never goes there), and 70 at night. I'm thinking I may need a bigger bulb/more heat on basking side.

I used a damp towel to cover some of his cage last night. The humidity was perfect and stable at 70%.

As always, I thank you for your help!View attachment 185570View attachment 185571View attachment 185572
Hi, that is a lovely enclosure.:D

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Plexiglass or clear shower curtain is work great, I've used both. As mentioned above don't have the plexiglass between the UVB source and the tortoise. I would add some more light, and plexiglass can be between the regular light and the tortoise. He might use more of the enclosure if there's more light. And if you never ever goes to the cool side that it must be too cold for him. They can have a basking spot 95 to 100°. The wider your fixture is the better, it helps spread out the heat and the UVB. I use one of these, got it at the feed store in the chicken section. It is about 10 to 11 inches wide.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1472950187.114177.jpg
The heat and humidity should stay in pretty well if you cover it. Your little tortoise is adorable. I'm getting a hatchling soon also and I'm setting up his enclosure. I like setting up enclosures, it's fun but sometimes takes a bit to get everything the way you want it.

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Great idea. Now that you mention it, the other side of the enclosure is darker and cooler. I'll increase lighting. And I've ordered a plexiglass for the top. Will use a shower curtain till it arrives.

Thank you!