Enclosure lighting recommendations

jannxy

Location (City and/or State)
riverside
Hi guys. I have a 7 month-ish old Sulcata Tortoise. I recently upgraded his enclosure and now it's too big for the lamps to keep it properly heated. I can't find good lamps on Amazon. His enclosure only gets up to about 75° right now so I need something quick. Can anyone recommend some good lamps? I'll add more pics of his enclosure tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220331-223501_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220331-223501_Gallery.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 9

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Washington
I am a newbie with torts but all of the experts on this forum say a closed chamber is a requirement for maintaining heat and humidity in a baby’s enclosure. @Tom has a great explanation about lighting and heating elements. If you search closed chamber enclosures you’ll find what you need. Many people have done DIY tops for their tables to keep the heat and humidity in. You’ll need a heat source like a CHE or RHP on a thermostat to maintain ambient temps. Then an incandescent flood bulb for basking and your HO UV tube. All must be inside of the closed top.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi guys. I have a 7 month-ish old Sulcata Tortoise. I recently upgraded his enclosure and now it's too big for the lamps to keep it properly heated. I can't find good lamps on Amazon. His enclosure only gets up to about 75° right now so I need something quick. Can anyone recommend some good lamps? I'll add more pics of his enclosure tomorrow.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Your problem is two-fold:
1. The bigger enclosure isn't the problem. The problem is the open top. It lets all the heat and humidity out. That is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof on it. It can't work. You need a large closed chamber.
2. Most of the advice given for sulcata care is all wrong. Its been wrong for decades and the same wrong info just keeps getting repeated in every venue. Here is the correct care info for you:

Questions are welcome.