Enclosure made in Portugal... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adão

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portugal
Hi everybody... :D

I am currently building a terrarium for a turtle Terrestrial (Testudo horsfieldii). :)
Already finished the "first step" with the construction of the structure of the terrarium, a refuge, a ramp to a platform, a zone of rocks and obstacles with rest and some vegetation false ...

I would need some help with (in your opinion) is the best area for heat, lighting etc ... And I'm also open to other suggestions to improve the "house" of this little fella :D

dsc0013fv.jpg
[/URL][/img]

In this pics it as pine bark but is already been removed cause I know now that is really bad for her... :/
I'm gonna use coconut shell :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think I would put a MVB or flourescent UVB light over the right back corner and take away the cactus and stones in that corner. Then I would hang a CHE in the middle between the plat form and the hide, so it heats part of the plat form and also the hide. Plus he could also bask up there if he wanted to. Don't forget a water dish, one he can get in and out of easily. I would out that in the right front corner. So what others suggest.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think I would put a MVB or flourescent UVB light over the right back corner and take away the cactus and stones in that corner. Then I would hang a CHE in the middle between the plat form and the hide, so it heats part of the plat form and also the hide. Plus he could also bask up there if he wanted to. Don't forget a water dish, one he can get in and out of easily. I would out that in the right front corner. So what others suggest.

Sounds good :D

Adão

5 Year Member
Portugal
wellington said:
Then I would hang a CHE in the middle between the plat form and the hide, so it heats part of the plat form and also the hide. Plus he could also bask up there if he wanted to.

So you would put hanging in the left side of the enclosure right? Or still in the back to the left side?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I think Barb means a UVB/heat lamp or fluorescent light tube (no heat) over the second level where the cactus is now.
(a tube fluorescent bulb would be longer, so would run from the second level along the R side).

And then a second light for heat only more toward the middle so it heats the second level and the main level.
He needs an area to bask to get UVB for good shell growth, but also one area with a heat source for basking.

I agree with your plan to change the substrate.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a leopard tortoise. Not a Testudo horsfieldii. It needs a water dish, one he can get in and out of for soaking and drinking. He needs a higher humidity. He is pyramiding. Either give a humid hide, not with hay or cover half of the enclosure and moisten the substrate at least in the covered part? They have different requirements then a Testudo horsfieldii.

Adão

5 Year Member
Portugal
wellington said:
That is a leopard tortoise. Not a Testudo horsfieldii. It needs a water dish, one he can get in and out of for soaking and drinking. He needs a higher humidity. He is pyramiding. Either give a humid hide, not with hay or cover half of the enclosure and moisten the substrate at least in the covered part? They have different requirements then a Testudo horsfieldii.

I've changed my mind on the specie of the tortoise. And it has a water dish with different deeps for him to get in and out and I soak him everyday for about 15 min. The substrate has 50% of humidity. So you think I should put more substrate on the hidden part is that it?

Status
Not open for further replies.