Enclosure temps

Cozy

Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco, CA
Hello,
I have a new 6 month old redfoot coming tomorrow and wanted to double check on my tank temps
Cool side is about 78. On the hot side, back right corner about 6” up is 86.5 and front right corner at ground level it’s 90, but right under the infrared in between these it’s 100. Is 100 under the bulb going to be too hot?

Thanks !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,
I have a new 6 month old redfoot coming tomorrow and wanted to double check on my tank temps
Cool side is about 78. On the hot side, back right corner about 6” up is 86.5 and front right corner at ground level it’s 90, but right under the infrared in between these it’s 100. Is 100 under the bulb going to be too hot?

Thanks !
You need a large closed chamber. It needs to have a couple of CHEs or RHPs set on a thermostat to around 82-84. You can have some LEDs for ambient lighting, and have a mild UV tube kick on for a few hours mid day. If the additional LED and UV lighting raises the temp in the chamber a few degrees each day, that is great.

They do not need a gradient. They do not need a basking bulb. Infrared bulbs should never be used over tortoises. You have found the wrong care info previously. Almost everyone does.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You need a large closed chamber. It needs to have a couple of CHEs or RHPs set on a thermostat to around 82-84. You can have some LEDs for ambient lighting, and have a mild UV tube kick on for a few hours mid day. If the additional LED and UV lighting raises the temp in the chamber a few degrees each day, that is great.

They do not need a gradient. They do not need a basking bulb. Infrared bulbs should never be used over tortoises. You have found the wrong care info previously. Almost everyone does.
Excellent information there