Enclosure

GRohr

Hi all, big stalker of the forum and posted only once before. I have been wanting to get a bit more active so I wanted to show you all the enclosure that I built for my 3 red foots. It has a 6'x3' floor and a 2'x3' second floor. It won't be big enough for them forever but it will hopefully last them for a while until i can build a nice outside place for them and then I will use it for a different tortoise.

Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think.
upload_2015-10-11_14-8-20.jpeg
upload_2015-10-11_14-8-54.jpeg
upload_2015-10-11_14-11-0.jpeg
upload_2015-10-11_14-11-16.jpeg
upload_2015-10-11_14-11-25.jpeg
upload_2015-10-11_14-11-56.jpeg
upload_2015-10-11_14-12-24.jpeg

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
That looks fantastic! What I have done in Redfoots closed chambers or environments is covered, especially the flooding and partial walls with pond liner. This helps to hold the humidity and protect the wood from rott, mold, fungus.
I would also create a little wall, on the ramp going upstairs, as the tortoises may fall off the side and end up on their backs.
Someone is a darn good builder. Nice job!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think what you see there IS the wall up the ramp, Kathy.

Great job!!!

GRohr

Thanks guys and yes, there is a small 4" or so wall on the ramp that gets higher the higher the ramp goes. There is a wood ceiling that I stained and sealed to keep the humidity up (I am in New Mexico so it is naturally a bit dry). I lined everywhere the substrate is with a clear pond liner which i read that other like to do. I have an automatic MistKing system that waters everything for 30 seconds every morning and the humidity is holding at 86% so far. I have a small vent that is hard to see as well.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Thanks guys and yes, there is a small 4" or so wall on the ramp that gets higher the higher the ramp goes. There is a wood ceiling that I stained and sealed to keep the humidity up (I am in New Mexico so it is naturally a bit dry). I lined everywhere the substrate is with a clear pond liner which i read that other like to do. I have an automatic MistKing system that waters everything for 30 seconds every morning and the humidity is holding at 86% so far. I have a small vent that is hard to see as well.
very nice...i like the ramp...

Rose Brown

Ann Arbor MI
This is for sure the coolest enclosure I've seen! I'm starting to build mine and I will for sure be studying those pictures! I hope u don't mind!

GRohr

Go for it! There are some pretty awesome enclosures that other people on here have made as well. They can be a bit hard to find as you have to wade through a lot of basic enclosures but it is well worth it so you get great ideas. If you have any questions just let me know. It just takes way longer than you expect it will take. It took me about a week and a half from start to finish to build this one.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
It's excellent. my only criticism if I had to find one is that the upper level is too small. you went to all that trouble to make a safe cool ramp to a little, itty-bitty area. if you could have found a way to make upper level almost as big as the lower level then you would have doubled your square footage. I do especially like the ramp rail. and the plexi glass on the side so that you can see in on both levels. very awesome.

GRohr

It's excellent. my only criticism if I had to find one is that the upper level is too small. you went to all that trouble to make a safe cool ramp to a little, itty-bitty area. if you could have found a way to make upper level almost as big as the lower level then you would have doubled your square footage. I do especially like the ramp rail. and the plexi glass on the side so that you can see in on both levels. very awesome.

I hear ya on that. My thoughts on it when I was making it was just that I was worried about making the ramp too steep to climb easily. After seeing how well they climb now I could have installed a ladder and they would make it up haha. They all go up and down several times a day so doing a second level is a plus. I actually need to install another light under the second level as it is dark enough they never really spend any time in that section of the enclosure.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
That looks awesome! I'd expect nothing less from a New Mexican! (I'm originally from Las Cruces)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I hear ya on that. My thoughts on it when I was making it was just that I was worried about making the ramp too steep to climb easily. After seeing how well they climb now I could have installed a ladder and they would make it up haha. They all go up and down several times a day so doing a second level is a plus. I actually need to install another light under the second level as it is dark enough they never really spend any time in that section of the enclosure.
oh no, I was envisioning the ramp coming up exactly the way it is through a hole in a huge upper floor. I love the ramp. you would need to put a rail around three sides of the hole on the upper floor so they can't access the ramp from the wrong direction but other than that you would have tWo full floors. maybe a project for another day or rather week because those projects tend to take a long time. Over all awesome!

GRohr

oh no, I was envisioning the ramp coming up exactly the way it is through a hole in a huge upper floor. I love the ramp. you would need to put a rail around three sides of the hole on the upper floor so they can't access the ramp from the wrong direction but other than that you would have tWo full floors. maybe a project for another day or rather week because those projects tend to take a long time. Over all awesome!

Hhmmm, this could work. I would have to get creative with dealing with the lights but I could do something like that. My guys love exploring new places so I am sure they would appreciate any additions I do haha.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Depends on how much ya pay me haha ;)

I haven't found any prefab enclosures that are big enough, and I am useless with building stuff lol... But I'm in Canada :(
Aaaand I have no idea what the cost of something like this would even be.

GRohr

I haven't found any prefab enclosures that are big enough, and I am useless with building stuff lol... But I'm in Canada :(
Aaaand I have no idea what the cost of something like this would even be.

The biggest part is just having all the tools that make building easier. All and all I spent just under 500 bucks but that included plants, substrate, heating and lighting. I could have saved money by using cheaper wood but it would have been double the weight.

I agree, there aren't too many pre-made enclosures that I liked either. I know that here in NM there are people that will build things like dog houses and the such for not outrageous amounts of money. Maybe if you look around you may find someone that could help you out.

dwright27

5 Year Member
The biggest part is just having all the tools that make building easier. All and all I spent just under 500 bucks but that included plants, substrate, heating and lighting. I could have saved money by using cheaper wood but it would have been double the weight.

I agree, there aren't too many pre-made enclosures that I liked either. I know that here in NM there are people that will build things like dog houses and the such for not outrageous amounts of money. Maybe if you look around you may find someone that could help you out.

Yeah, I've been trying to think of what to search in Kijiji (like Craigslist) and I've been coming up empty. Not that I can afford much of anything in the immediate future, living the student life lol. I'll keep looking though. Again, love your work!