Enclosure

gigi2318

Location (City and/or State)
League City TX
I was told that using non treated top soil and play sand was the best to lay in enclosure for my baby sulcata at local reptile show. Thoughts if this is ok?IMG_1198.jpgIMG_1197.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
Sand and soil is a very outdated substrate option, and neither should be used. Not only is sand a huge impaction risk, but it is also a skin, eye, nose, mouth, and cloaka irritant. Additionally, you can never be sure of the composition of top soil and it turns to mud when wet, so you can’t keep the 80-100% humidity you need. Your substrate needs to be changed to fine grade orchid bark(best option), cypress mulch, or coco coir.

I see a few issues with your enclosure.
- those ramp bowls are no good. It is very easy to flip over, and tortoises often drown in them. Please change it to a terra cotta saucer.

-Those “zoo med tortoise houses” are opened topped, making it very hard to hold the humidity you need, and tend to mold after a while. Be sure to find a way to get the top covered to hold humidity for now.

Please give these a read and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

gigi2318

League City TX
Welcome to the forum!
Sand and soil is a very outdated substrate option, and neither should be used. Not only is sand a huge impaction risk, but it is also a skin, eye, nose, mouth, and cloaka irritant. Additionally, you can never be sure of the composition of top soil and it turns to mud when wet, so you can’t keep the 80-100% humidity you need. Your substrate needs to be changed to fine grade orchid bark(best option), cypress mulch, or coco coir.

I see a few issues with your enclosure.
- those ramp bowls are no good. It is very easy to flip over, and tortoises often drown in them. Please change it to a terra cotta saucer.

-Those “zoo med tortoise houses” are opened topped, making it very hard to hold the humidity you need, and tend to mold after a while. Be sure to find a way to get the top covered to hold humidity for now.

Please give these a read and come back with questions-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Thanks so much! I will start making my changes immediately!

gigi2318

League City TX
How does this look? I’m a little worried now that the bulb might be too much. It’s 100 watt PowerSun brand I think. They told me at Repticon that’s all I needed because it’s all in one? The top was mainly screened so I used foil to block some of it. Also the dish will contain water. I just wanted him to eat first as I soaked him about an hour ago.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Be sure to read the links I gave you if you haven’t.

Your tortoise needs to have temps above 80 degrees at all times, including night. You cannot have any lights on at night, so you need a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat.

Mercury vapor bulbs are too strong for young torts, and very desiccating on their shells. You need a regular 75 watt Phillips flood bulb(says BR30 on the box, I believe), and a fluorescent tube uvb if you can’t get him outside a few times a week for natural sunlight.

The coco coir looks a bit dry. Be sure it’s pretty damp and packed down.

I would forget everything the vendor told you. Sounds like he didn’t really understand much about Tortoise care.

I would put some more hides in if you can.

How big is the tank?

You’re making great progress!

gigi2318

League City TX
Be sure to read the links I gave you if you haven’t.

Your tortoise needs to have temps above 80 degrees at all times, including night. You cannot have any lights on at night, so you need a ceramic heat emitter on a thermostat.

Mercury vapor bulbs are too strong for young torts, and very desiccating on their shells. You need a regular 75 watt Phillips flood bulb(says BR30 on the box, I believe), and a fluorescent tube uvb if you can’t get him outside a few times a week for natural sunlight.

The coco coir looks a bit dry. Be sure it’s pretty damp and packed down.

I would forget everything the vendor told you. Sounds like he didn’t really understand much about Tortoise care.

I would put some more hides in if you can.

How big is the tank?

You’re making great progress!

Right now the tank is 30 gallons low. I know it’s not big but I have contacted a person that I saw at Repticon that makes enclosures specifically for tortoises. (I should have purchased from him then). He will be back in town at another reptile show in Dec. I will change the lighting for sure. I was reluctant to buy originally because as much as I seem NOT to know much, I actually have been researching a ton before I bought him. I just was really thrown off by what he told me and he seemed pretty reputable. Two other vendors I spoke with were kind of on the same page as him with the exception of BioDude.

gigi2318

League City TX
Can I ask where I can find the ceramic heat emitter? I haven’t heard anything on that. And yes I did read your links. Thank you for that. Would you mind sharing a pic of your setup?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Can I ask where I can find the ceramic heat emitter? I haven’t heard anything on that. And yes I did read your links. Thank you for that. Would you mind sharing a pic of your setup?
Ceramic Heat Emitters are available at pet stores and online (Amazon, etc). They look like this:pecute-aquecedor-lmpada-emissor-de-calor-de-cermica-100w-D_NQ_NP_870875-MLB25912831297_082017-O.jpeg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Right now the tank is 30 gallons low. I know it’s not big but I have contacted a person that I saw at Repticon that makes enclosures specifically for tortoises. (I should have purchased from him then). He will be back in town at another reptile show in Dec. I will change the lighting for sure. I was reluctant to buy originally because as much as I seem NOT to know much, I actually have been researching a ton before I bought him. I just was really thrown off by what he told me and he seemed pretty reputable. Two other vendors I spoke with were kind of on the same page as him with the exception of BioDude.

What do the enclosures look like? Are they open topped like tables, or completely enclosed?

gigi2318

League City TX
What do the enclosures look like? Are they open topped like tables, or completely enclosed?

Completely enclosed like apcages.com that you suggested on another thread. If you could recommend one from there and the add ons, that would be amazing! I didn’t know under the choices. Right now he is slightly bigger than a hatchling that I can tell.