Sulcata substrate

Celiagg

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello everyone!
Hear I am with more questions. Next week is the week I cleaning Sheldon’s enclosure. Ive been using only cypress mulch but have read to use organic non fertilized top soil. As a gardner of exotic plants I’m not afraid to try different things to see what works. But as a new tortoise owner I’ve been afraid to buy soil as for some reason I feel I would choose the wrong soil I need. Im going to my local home depot or Lowe’s. is this a except able soil to buy? Can I also use some coco coir to my substrate? I attached photos for what I was thinking of buying. the mulch is the one I’ve been using. FYI my Sheldon is still a baby 3-4 months.
thanks

Attachments

• 7625595B-4837-4AED-84D7-29361AEA853A.jpeg
    7625595B-4837-4AED-84D7-29361AEA853A.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 3
  • BCEB349D-1153-40D9-B466-FE31B0093506.jpeg
    BCEB349D-1153-40D9-B466-FE31B0093506.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 3917F12B-FE79-4C88-85FD-232DE14E49BB.jpeg
    3917F12B-FE79-4C88-85FD-232DE14E49BB.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 3

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone!
Hear I am with more questions. Next week is the week I cleaning Sheldon’s enclosure. Ive been using only cypress mulch but have read to use organic non fertilized top soil. As a gardner of exotic plants I’m not afraid to try different things to see what works. But as a new tortoise owner I’ve been afraid to buy soil as for some reason I feel I would choose the wrong soil I need. Im going to my local home depot or Lowe’s. is this a except able soil to buy? Can I also use some coco coir to my substrate? I attached photos for what I was thinking of buying. the mulch is the one I’ve been using. FYI my Sheldon is still a baby 3-4 months.
thanks
You are reading the wrong info. Anything else your read from that source is likely wrong too. Cypress mulch works fine. Orchid bark works best. Soil should never be used as tortoise substrate. Soil is made from composted yard waste and all sorts of other crazy stuff. The people making and selling it do not intend for it to be used as bedding for little animals to live on. It could be made of oleander or azaleas. I found partially composted jacaranda leaves in a batch of the Kelloggs soil you posted there. Jacaranda is toxic and I found it in the mouth of the baby tortoise that was trying to eat it.

Please use the following thread for your care info. It will help you avoid common problems like using the wrong substrate. Be aware that almost all of the care info found online from FB, YT, breeders, vets, and most other sources is all wrong. Its the same wrong info that has been parroted for decades. Here is the correct info:

Celiagg

Southern California
Tom would you say that I can use and it would be safe to use the same orchid bark I’d use for my plants/orchids? Or do you think the repti bark or any other fine grade bark is better? I read your whole article on tortoise care. can I piggyback on this with the water bowl issue?. i soak my Sheldon every morning for 30 min. He drinks water at least what i think he is doing. He utd his nostrils in the water for a little after he poops and he pees the calcium not everyday on the calcium. My point with the waterbowl Is that its clean. but He eats, strolls his enclosure baste on and off. Does not like his hide at all but has his corner hes dogged a hole and goes in it. Is that something concerning? as always thank you! 😊

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom would you say that I can use and it would be safe to use the same orchid bark I’d use for my plants/orchids? Or do you think the repti bark or any other fine grade bark is better? I read your whole article on tortoise care. can I piggyback on this with the water bowl issue?. i soak my Sheldon every morning for 30 min. He drinks water at least what i think he is doing. He utd his nostrils in the water for a little after he poops and he pees the calcium not everyday on the calcium. My point with the waterbowl Is that its clean. but He eats, strolls his enclosure baste on and off. Does not like his hide at all but has his corner hes dogged a hole and goes in it. Is that something concerning? as always thank you! 😊
I buy my orchid bark in bulk from a nursery, but it is plain orchid bark with no additives of any kind. Just don't use an "orchid bark mix".

I don't know what you are asking about piggy backing on this with the water bowl issue. They need a safe suitable water dish. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best.

Baby sulcatas tend to avoid any sort of hole in the ground, including hides we provide for them. I speculate that this is because in the wild, whatever made that hole would eat them. Just keep putting the tortoise inside the hide long after lights out, before you go to bed, and in time they realize that there are no sulcata eating monsters in their hide and that it is, in fact, THEIR hide.