What substrate should i use ASAP

Ttfjc

Location (City and/or State)
Houston,TX
Im currently using a blanket what kind of substrate shouod i use cypress mulch or top soil? And if so what kind please reply what brand should i buy!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Cypress is better, top soil should not be used due to what it could contain. Fine Fir Bark is the best if you find it with the mulch supplies

Sa Ga

MN
I wouldn't use cypress mulch, as sometimes torts eat it. Not ALL, mind you, but is it worth the risk???

Coconut bedding, like Eco Earth keeps the humidity when misted (and mixed in) daily and passes, should it be accidentally ingested.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
1580671516155.png
On the West Coast this is available at large garden Centers just not Lowes or Home Depot for about $20 at most. Petco sells the Reptibark (fine Fir Bark) at $16 for 24 quarts so to equal that bag you are talking $$$. Hope that helps. Fir Bark is awesome for holding moisture but not being wet to the touch and so much cleaner than CoCo Coir. Hope that helps

Sa Ga

MN
View attachment 285721
On the West Coast this is available at large garden Centers just not Lowes or Home Depot for about $20 at most. Petco sells the Reptibark (fine Fir Bark) at $16 for 24 quarts so to equal that bag you are talking $$$. Hope that helps. Fir Bark is awesome for holding moisture but not being wet to the touch and so much cleaner than CoCo Coir. Hope that helps

I get nervous with fir bark/Reptibark too, as, the summer I worked at Petco, we lost two reptiles to accidental ingestion and thus choking. I've bought a bag myself but haven't yet had the guts to use it!

Ttfjc

Houston,TX
how about
I get nervous with fir bark/Reptibark too, as, the summer I worked at Petco, we lost two reptiles to accidental ingestion and thus choking. I've bought a bag myself but haven't yet had the guts to use it!
How
How about organic topsoil?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I use Cypress mulch for my russian and Fine Firbark (Repibark) for my Leopard and see no adverse effects. THe Coco Coir does well too but is very messy. Any bagged soil, organic or not, has other fillers in it-rocks, sometimes SAND which has huge ingestion/impaction issues. You would be better off digging up some dirt from your yard to use since you should know what products were used on it. As far as the accidental ingestion I have watched my Leopard test the substrate in the new enclosure a couple of times, but that ceased once I showed them the food layed out on the rock. Fine Fir Bark has been used by TFO'ers with way more experience than me to raise a ton of healthy babies. I get where you are at right now, the intial information overload was staggering! Take a breath, remember you are a great person (you are using TFO) and Tort On!

Attachments

• IMG_2411 (1).jpeg
    IMG_2411 (1).jpeg
    928.2 KB · Views: 25

Ttfjc

Houston,TX
Is or
View attachment 285721
Is organic topsil good you think

Ttfjc

Houston,TX
Can you
I use Cypress mulch for my russian and Fine Firbark (Repibark) for my Leopard and see no adverse effects. THe Coco Coir does well too but is very messy. Any bagged soil, organic or not, has other fillers in it-rocks, sometimes SAND which has huge ingestion/impaction issues. You would be better off digging up some dirt from your yard to use since you should know what products were used on it. As far as the accidental ingestion I have watched my Leopard test the substrate in the new enclosure a couple of times, but that ceased once I showed them the food layed out on the rock. Fine Fir Bark has been used by TFO'ers with way more experience than me to raise a ton of healthy babies. I get where you are at right now, the intial information overload was staggering! Take a breath, remember you are a great person (you are using TFO) and Tort On!
Can you send me a picture you think orchid bark is good send me images of the bag. Please

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
This is Reptibark I added the image of the 2 cubic foot bag of Fine Fir Bark by Greenall further up in thread which I would recommend you look for as you are closer to the West Coast and could find it cheaper than the Reptibark
1580676657912.png

Ttfjc

Houston,TX
This is Reptibark I added the image of the 2 cubic foot bag of Fine Fir Bark by Greenall further up in thread which I would recommend you look for as you are closer to the West Coast and could find it cheaper than the Reptibark
View attachment 285725
View attachment 285725
15806887624761784443556.jpg

Sa Ga

MN
how about

How

How about organic topsoil?

I used that and eco earth for a while (50/50). It made the eco earth less "sandy". I still use some (more like 25/75) but I have heard horror stories of it having bugs in it and such. I have not had that experience but it is something to consider.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Oh my just noticed the 2nd tortoise. Please separate them ASAP. Species mixing is a no-no and two torts together is trouble waiting to happen. There is a thread on TFO that shows the sad end of cage mates!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
  1. Species should never be mixed. Disease potential is high, behavioral issues are likely, and these two species have very different heating and diet requirements.
  2. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Its another recipe for disaster.
  3. Bought-in-a-bag soil should never be used in an indoor tortoise enclosure because you can't know what composted material it is made of or if there are any yard chemicals in the mix. It could be something toxic. The soil makers/sellers do not intend for their product to be used in a small indoor chamber with an animal living in/on it.
  4. The best substrate for baby Testudo species is coco coir.
  5. The best substrate for sulcata babies is fine grade orchid bark.
  6. Orchid bark and cypres mulch are not ingestion hazards unless you have sick animals, animals that aren't being cared for correctly, or if you are not using a food bowl, and even then its not likely to be a problem.

Ttfjc

Houston,TX
Oh my just noticed the 2nd tortoise. Please separate them ASAP. Species mixing is a no-no and two torts together is trouble waiting to happen. There is a thread on TFO that shows the sad end of cage mates!
I have placed a visual Berrier in the middle.

Ttfjc

Houston,TX
we
  1. Species should never be mixed. Disease potential is high, behavioral issues are likely, and these two species have very different heating and diet requirements.
  2. Tortoises should never be kept in pairs. Its another recipe for disaster.
  3. Bought-in-a-bag soil should never be used in an indoor tortoise enclosure because you can't know what composted material it is made of or if there are any yard chemicals in the mix. It could be something toxic. The soil makers/sellers do not intend for their product to be used in a small indoor chamber with an animal living in/on it.
  4. The best substrate for baby Testudo species is coco coir.
  5. The best substrate for sulcata babies is fine grade orchid bark.
  6. Orchid bark and cypres mulch are not ingestion hazards unless you have sick animals, animals that aren't being cared for correctly, or if you are not using a food bowl, and even then its not likely to be a problem.
I have placed a visual barrier.