Enclosure

double_4t_32

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, Ohio
IMG_6666.jpg

Ignore the light situation, I have a CHE, fluorescent UVB, and basking UVA that I’m going to use. I just wanted an opinion if this 2x4 open top enclosure is adequate for an adult pancake tortoise. I created a secure three layer rock hide, have a half log hide, and a hide that they can climb on and walk in from the pet store. The water source is big enough to bath in and the food dish is a terra-cotta dish. The substrate is eco-earth, reptibark, and cypress mulch. Can an adult female thrive in this tortoise table?

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
The water bowl is a flipping hazard. I’d recommend taking it out completely.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I agree with the water bowl, those are dangerous. I would also remove the bricks that are holding your slate up. Anything that encourages them to climb vertically can be a flipping hazard. I do not know much about pancake torts but I think the enclosure would need to be larger to accommodate an adult. Good luck!

mikels

Virginia
Hi, I'm new to the forum, but I'm familiar with researching anything new I'm getting into. Based on the care sheet ( https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pancake-care-sheet.159222/ ), it looks like you have a great start. The only snag you might run into is having an open top if the sides are less than one foot (especially above the rock feature). Apparently, pancakes benefit from the exercise and nail wear provided by climbing an abrasive surface. Also, I read that some folks like to cover most of the substrate with stone to conserve moisture (slow-release humidity) and make spot-cleaning easier.

Mike

View attachment 275483

Ignore the light situation, I have a CHE, fluorescent UVB, and basking UVA that I’m going to use. I just wanted an opinion if this 2x4 open top enclosure is adequate for an adult pancake tortoise. I created a secure three layer rock hide, have a half log hide, and a hide that they can climb on and walk in from the pet store. The water source is big enough to bath in and the food dish is a terra-cotta dish. The substrate is eco-earth, reptibark, and cypress mulch. Can an adult female thrive in this tortoise table?

Michael231

California
Hello!

Your enclosure looks great, and below I'm just listing some tips and tricks that have worked for me and the group I work with when it comes to keeping Malcochersus.

First of all, pancake tortoises are climbers. In the wild they frequent rocky outcroppings where they can lodge themselves into a secure position. I use cemented cobblestones as my barrier, with a wall height of 10-12". The cobbles work well as they can't grip it as well. With the wood, I would cap off each corner with a simple 1"x1" (which you can probably use from leftover pieces from making this enclosure). That way they can't come close to leveraging over a corner.

Second, where I keep them I believe the average ambient humidity is around 50-70%, but it is run on a climate controlled thermometer, which fluctuates daily/nightly temps. Be aware that humidity fluctuates with temperature, and that higher overall temps contain more energy, allowing for more water to be stored in the atmosphere (i.e. 70% humidity in 60 degrees has less moisture in the air than 70% at 70 degrees). The care sheet sent above says adults require no humidity, which also seems to work for others. My observation is that they seem to thrive and reproduce in a moderately humid climate, producing 6-8 eggs yearly for me. In Tanzania, the humidity doesn't seem to drop below 40-50% midday this time of year, however this is a reading from the city, and not necessarily the desert where it is bound to be drier. The above is just my observation on the species, and it seems like both methods work. I'd be curious to hear the opinion's of others on this front.

Lastly, I'd say get more creative with the slate. I stack 5-7 pieces of large slate next to each other in multiple sections of the enclosure. In your enclosure one of these stacks would like great. This species lives in kopjes in the wild, large rock formations, so I find they really like slanted flat slate pieces to hide under.

I've had success with ~25% sand ~75% potting soil substrate for these guys. I just let it dry out.

Here's a picture of a cool slate pile:

p1010235.jpg

From:https://www.google.com/search?q=pan...AUIESgC&biw=1280&bih=610#imgrc=89OM3nilYQJnqM:

Your enclosure is pretty cool so far! Keep up the great work, and let us know how your tortoise is doing from time to time!

double_4t_32

5 Year Member
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hello!

Your enclosure looks great, and below I'm just listing some tips and tricks that have worked for me and the group I work with when it comes to keeping Malcochersus.

First of all, pancake tortoises are climbers. In the wild they frequent rocky outcroppings where they can lodge themselves into a secure position. I use cemented cobblestones as my barrier, with a wall height of 10-12". The cobbles work well as they can't grip it as well. With the wood, I would cap off each corner with a simple 1"x1" (which you can probably use from leftover pieces from making this enclosure). That way they can't come close to leveraging over a corner.

Second, where I keep them I believe the average ambient humidity is around 50-70%, but it is run on a climate controlled thermometer, which fluctuates daily/nightly temps. Be aware that humidity fluctuates with temperature, and that higher overall temps contain more energy, allowing for more water to be stored in the atmosphere (i.e. 70% humidity in 60 degrees has less moisture in the air than 70% at 70 degrees). The care sheet sent above says adults require no humidity, which also seems to work for others. My observation is that they seem to thrive and reproduce in a moderately humid climate, producing 6-8 eggs yearly for me. In Tanzania, the humidity doesn't seem to drop below 40-50% midday this time of year, however this is a reading from the city, and not necessarily the desert where it is bound to be drier. The above is just my observation on the species, and it seems like both methods work. I'd be curious to hear the opinion's of others on this front.

Lastly, I'd say get more creative with the slate. I stack 5-7 pieces of large slate next to each other in multiple sections of the enclosure. In your enclosure one of these stacks would like great. This species lives in kopjes in the wild, large rock formations, so I find they really like slanted flat slate pieces to hide under.

I've had success with ~25% sand ~75% potting soil substrate for these guys. I just let it dry out.

Here's a picture of a cool slate pile:

p1010235.jpg

From:https://www.google.com/search?q=pan...AUIESgC&biw=1280&bih=610#imgrc=89OM3nilYQJnqM:

Your enclosure is pretty cool so far! Keep up the great work, and let us know how your tortoise is doing from time to time!

Yea, I like the way you designed the slate rocks. I think I’m going to get a few more and hopefully make it a bit more realistic and natural. I’m not having any problems with keeping the humidity up I plan on building a larger enclosure and might make it a closed chamber.