Enclosure

celseymarie

Location (City and/or State)
MS
My sulcata tortoise is a year old and I’ve been looking to set him up in a newer, larger enclosure. I saw these pictures on here and was wondering if this was large enough for a while or if I should build him a larger area outside. What do y’all think? Needing guidance, worried about everything being done wrong for him within his first year.

this is the enclosure link: Lifetime 60053 Raised Garden Bed Kit, 2 Beds and 1 Early Start Vinyl Enclosure https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055FSKPW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Attachments

• 0C72C83B-8912-424C-8FEC-6A15CD1E540F.jpeg
    0C72C83B-8912-424C-8FEC-6A15CD1E540F.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 296D3351-1F21-4174-AF4F-F9F1700B6032.jpeg
    296D3351-1F21-4174-AF4F-F9F1700B6032.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 56

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is 4x4 I used them for leopards until about 2 or 3 years of age. I think a sulcata will outgrow it too fast. You might get a year out of it.
Look into pop up portable greenhouse. They have many sizes and with some tweaking it could last until he can live outside 24/7 depending on where you live and with proper outdoor enclosure.
They are cheap, starting around 40 bucks some cheaper some a little more. Depends on size and the place selling them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That is 4x4 I used them for leopards until about 2 or 3 years of age. I think a sulcata will outgrow it too fast. You might get a year out of it.
Look into pop up portable greenhouse. They have many sizes and with some tweaking it could last until he can live outside 24/7 depending on where you live and with proper outdoor enclosure.
They are cheap, starting around 40 bucks some cheaper some a little more. Depends on size and the place selling them.
Raising a Sulcata will involve a LOT of tweaking, changing and growing.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
any suggestions?
I currently only keep Redfoot. And because I live in south Florida, it's pretty simple. They just live outdoors.

A Sulcata in Missouri will be a challenge. But we have many members that are successful in far more challenging locations.
Outdoors is best. Especially while the weather is tolerable
I'd use an enclosure like the one pictured to give me the time and the opportunity to build something more substantial for the springtime. And beyond.
@Tom Has many posts on heated night houses and outdoors enclosures for Sulcata tortoises.
You still have plenty of time while yours is small to get things ready for the near future.
Members of this forum will be here for support along the way.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Raising a Sulcata will involve a LOT of tweaking, changing and growing.
Not really. Boards/frame laid on the inside or even outside of the greenhouse perimeter will give the stability needed until it's big enough to live outside. After that, then there might he a lot needed depending on what they already have or don't have

celseymarie

MS
Not really. Boards/frame laid on the inside or even outside of the greenhouse perimeter will give the stability needed until it's big enough to live outside. After that, then there might he a lot needed depending on what they already have or don't have
I live in southern MS so the winters don’t really get harsh and the summers get pretty hot. With the greenhouse, do I keep the heating lamp on all day and night? Should I buy a humidifier for inside? or will the substrate plus some water suffice? I think all I’m lacking is the substrate (which is on the way) and the humid habitat. I just wanna make sure he’s good to go, especially outside now that it’s getting a little chilly at night. Anything else you could recommend? thermometers/humidity meters?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I currently only keep Redfoot. And because I live in south Florida, it's pretty simple. They just live outdoors.

A Sulcata in Missouri will be a challenge. But we have many members that are successful in far more challenging locations.
Outdoors is best. Especially while the weather is tolerable
I'd use an enclosure like the one pictured to give me the time and the opportunity to build something more substantial for the springtime. And beyond.
@Tom Has many posts on heated night houses and outdoors enclosures for Sulcata tortoises.
You still have plenty of time while yours is small to get things ready for the near future.
Members of this forum will be here for support along the way.
Mississippi...Missouri is MO...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I live in southern MS so the winters don’t really get harsh and the summers get pretty hot. With the greenhouse, do I keep the heating lamp on all day and night? Should I buy a humidifier for inside? or will the substrate plus some water suffice? I think all I’m lacking is the substrate (which is on the way) and the humid habitat. I just wanna make sure he’s good to go, especially outside now that it’s getting a little chilly at night. Anything else you could recommend? thermometers/humidity meters?
Get a regular basking bulb and a tube florescent uvb. A che for night time heat. Also get a rheostat/thermostat to put the che on. I'm not familiar with your winter temps. Depending on the size of enclosure and its location you may need two che's. The uvb and basking needs to be on during the day and off at night. The che can run both day and night if needed. Set the che rheostat to keep the enclosure no lower then 80.
If you make the substrate wet but not puddled it should keep the humidity where needed.