Erosa Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Been waiting for around a month now for one of the females to lay. She has been digging nest sites for almost a month now. Yesterday finally got to see a deposit in one of the nest. 3 large healthy eggs. Im going to try a method of using ambient greenhouse temps, and nightly drops on the eggs. Hope they hatch in months from now.

The female in the middle to the right is the dam of the eggs.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
haha. It didnt take that long at all Will. We will see what happens. I hope I get them to hatch with this method.

Weldd

10 Year Member!
I like the incubation plan you have for them. That's as likely to work as anything. Good luck and post pics of the babies when they hatch!

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
Will said:
Hi Kelly,

Sean McKeown wrote an article in one of the glossy reptile rags about his breeding them in Hawai many years ago. I did not find the article, I have it here somewhere to quote what he did.

Will
He incubated them at 84F and they hatched after about a 5 month incubation. I recently communicated with a private individual who hatched one the same way.

Best of luck with them. I have mine at 84F now after about 6 weeks at fluctuating room temp.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Cris (or Chris?) had luck leaving his in with the parents and letting them do the normal up and downs that you would see naturally.

I have bad personal news on my erosa eggs. I have been watching my female,Z because she likes to nest where the rest like to dig in for sleeping. Last night it was such a beautiful night outside that after working on outside enclosures all day, I decided to just sleep on my swing all night. As I was watching the bats flying around, I thought I should go inside and check on the erosa, but knew if I did I would start doing other things and never get back outside. Besides earlier she had not been showing any signs. Well this morning I did outside feedings before coming into the house, but once in the house I checked on the erosa first. Yes, you guessed it she had laid her eggs. Five of them. Unfortunately all got broken except for one lone single egg. :(

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ahhhh man. I'm sorry Jacqui. That's terrible. I had same with my speaks. She broke all her eggs after laying.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I am not sure if she did it or the other two did. This female always lays back in the main sleeping spot for the group. The other female always burrows in a bit, so she may have done it. Fingers crossed that she will lay another clutch in a month. I should have no problem remembering to be watching because you should be telling us just before hand how many eggs you had the next go round from your female. ;)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well another fresh nice looking again today. so 4 so far. Still waiting on the other female too. She has been digging too. Hope to have some good fertile eggs, and hatch some rare ones. I tell you what that puts it around christmas time. I dont like christmas but I want them to hatch for this christmas. Then the homeana should lay shortly after. Hope for a good kinixys year.

I would imagine a few months of this all day long and they would be fertile eh?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Well THAT seals it, my egg will not be hatching. I never get anything good for Christmas. :D

... no, he's wearing out his sperm making. Hey, does lessen fertility in humans as I recall...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well 3 more eggs today. Up to 6 so far from this one female. Still waiting on the other female to deposit her ova.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think mine is trying to keep up with yours! :D I have two eggs, but they were only partially buried, so they may have been jiggled around a bit.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Awesome. I got another one laid today. So far 7 from this girl. Waiting on the other female still. It will be a race to hatch them between us.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You will win Kelly, I have no doubt. I have a curse these days on hatching hingeback eggs (well except Homes).

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Jacqui said:
You will win Kelly, I have no doubt. I have a curse these days on hatching hingeback eggs (well except Homes).

Not a race. But come January I will take a go at my homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.