escape artist

Zaffy

5 Year Member
Boris is hibernating at the moment. But when he is awake he spends his time trying to escape. If there is someone to watch him, he has free run for an hour or more most days of an enormous garden. I put him in a penned area for the rest of the time but I have had to make it bigger and bigger. He now has the run of the patio which is fairly large and he has access to shallow water and there is a hedge and earth borders and I grow and encourage wild flowers for him to enjoy but when not sunbathing or eating or sleeping in the shade, he paces the edge boundary up and down. When I watch him roaming free in the garden, after not too long he will head west into the fields and just keep walking. He just seems to want to be somewhere else all the time. I have lost him many times and one day I fear I will not find him. Why is he so discontent?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If there is someone to watch him, he has free run for an hour or more most days of an enormous garden.

And THAT's exactly why he is no longer content to stay in his enclosure. When a captive tortoise is contained inside four walls and he learns this is his territory, he's happy. ONce you allow him to see that there's more to the world outside his walls, he's going to always want out.