Especially for cdmay !!!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Remember this Carl? From 2002 - I know.. you were just out of High School.. and I was barely still in my 50's !

Tell us about it... please???

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Don't think I can old buddy. The 'red foot island' (if I remember correctly) was and island in the Virgin Islands that **** Paull visited. He wouldn't tell me where it was...
Otherwise, I don't remember much about that magazine.
Sorry...

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Carl when you sent me that pic ( or I may actually have that publication as I recall.. in fact I do remember reading that article ) you mentioned that the cover was one of yours... that's what I was referring to. Tell us about that little guy?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Oh that....actually the tortoise on the cover was not mine but was one I knew of in the late 70s. The photo was taken by either Louis Porras or more likely, Bill Love both of whom I knew quite well in those days.
The tortoise was a Colombian import and one of a number of Colombians that possessed that radiated pattern on the carapace.
**** Bartlett also photographed (or had) some individual Colombian red foots that were similar.
I wish it had been mine!
But now that you mentioned it, there was a photo of another Colombian red foot in the text of the magazine that had been mine and that Bill Love had photographed. But it was a normal looking imported Colombian from the mid 70s that had a mostly yellow head and faded orange legs scales.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Thanks Carl.. that's what I wanted clarified! To tell and show what a Colombian looked like.

Colombia closed the exportation after many years.. and then a "few" years back someone got the papers to export again ( I received an email from a "farm" stating such ) - and they 'flooded' the market.. not so much flooded but made a different look { mostly all yellow } available after years of only "farmed" Venezuelan and the Guyana/Suriname area!

Bill Love was/is a snake guy .. isn't that true Carl?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks Carl.. that's what I wanted clarified! To tell and show what a Colombian looked like.

Colombia closed the exportation after many years.. and then a "few" years back someone got the papers to export again ( I received an email from a "farm" stating such ) - and they 'flooded' the market.. not so much flooded but made a different look { mostly all yellow } available after years of only "farmed" Venezuelan and the Guyana/Suriname area!

So what are you saying?
That Colombians where being selective bred in farms for the pet trade, and in actual fact they weren't even Colombians anyway.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Selective bred???

Pet trade???? Why else would anyone import? [ I don't think to eat... ]

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
That's a yes then?

Not entirely - where did this "selective breeding" question come from ?

If someone fences in an area [ like what was done in Bahia for Brazilians ].. and collects local animals to house and breed in it.. I call that a "farm". Again they may have been just dealers that collected to sell.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Not entirely - where did this "selective breeding" question come from ?

If someone fences in an area [ like what was done in Bahia for Brazilians ].. and collects local animals to house and breed in it.. I call that a "farm". Again they may have been just dealers that collected to sell.
Selective breeding came from, " made a different look{mostly all yellow}. "

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida

Bill Love isn't just a snake person. Bill is an all around animal person with an encyclopedic knowledge of reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, insects and plants. He is also a Class A photographer and gives fantastic presentations of his herping adventures.
A great guy!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
I AM STILL LOOKING FOR A MALE COLOMBIAN! I would love to find one of that quality.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Grab one of those Barbados males...they're close enough to the Colombian phenotype for me!