Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

I only found this one excerpt in the above link associated with reptiles:

"Rapid freezing—Reptiles and amphibians can be euthanized by rapid freezing when it
results in immediate death. Based on rodent models, it is likely that this can be achieved by
placing animals < 4 g (0.1 oz) in liquid N2.
52 The technique should not be used for species
that have adapted freeze tolerance strategies, as this method may not result in instant
death.607 Placement of animals ≥ 4 g in liquid N2 or other uses of hypothermia are not
acceptable"

Since none of us has liquid nitrogen, I don't think this is helpful, however it DOES say that "...other uses of hypothermia are not acceptable."

This is something I'm very interested in. I take in sick and injured turtles and tortoises all the time. Some are too far gone to keep alive. I feel that the refrigerator method - place the turtle/tortoise in a sealed plastic tub and put the tub in the refrigerator. After the animal has cooled down, at least over night, place the now sleeping animal into the freezer.

Naturally, I call the vet out for animals too large to fit into the fridge.

If anyone has a better method I'm all ears. It's all about being humane. I don't want to cause any more pain and suffering than the animal is already going through, and funds are limited as to how often I can call out a vet to take care of euthanasia.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
This is an interesting subject, Yvonne.
I was reading about this a few days ago when someone was talking about running over her tortoise.
I read that straight freezing ( which is not what you are talking about), causes significant pain as ice crystals form in the body.
I read in several articles that when a tortoise is decapitated, it feels intense pain for ONE hour, as the brain continues to function and feel. It said the brain needs to be destroyed immediately. Who would think you need to destroy the brain.
The absolute best method is going to the vet, for an overdose injection.
So, I wonder........ If they are cooled down, overnight, would freezing be painfree, as these ice crystals develop in the freezer? Maybe!
It's an interesting subject.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
In my opinion...freezing, be heading and such are horrific, take the animal to the vet (or have vet come to you) and do the OD process....I do understand that if in the wild and have no other option and you come across an injury... then to squash the head in its entirety is the most direct and quickest action....

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Yvonne G.
I agree that none of us has liquid N2 but most people can buy dry ice isn't that the same thing ? I believe the temp of dry ice is -312 degrees .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Tactical Tort

5 Year Member
Northern CA
This is just a guess but I work with both for branding and semen storage. I'd think that they want you to "dunk" the tort in the Liquid N2 vs just cooling the tort via the dry ice?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I don't think -312 degrees is " just cooling it " I think that's flash freezing .

Tactical Tort

5 Year Member
Northern CA
I don't think -312 degrees is " just cooling it " I think that's flash freezing .

I think your missing what I was trying to say. :)
I don't know how to word it. Lol!
It's like jumping in a pool or sitting in an ice chest. 2 different cooling methods. One is full body instant. One is a slower method.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I had definitely been curious about the same thing, and was pointed to this info and was really unhelped by the methods that were acceptable since there were like none accessible to us and then everything seemed unacceptable.
I totally understand not being able to go to the vet for every animal especially when you rehab so many. In my case if I ever needed the info it would be for a turtle most likely hit on the road yet alive, since we have 1 "nature sanctuary" here which probably couldn't help much, and my vet is the closest reptile vet here an hour away and I wouldn't be able to pay for it to be done, so call it cheap but having methods myself is pretty important.
I personally think decapitation is too messy and unnecessarily slow and painful (did we not learn this through the guillotine? Then again I wrote a paper on it) so the idea of the fridge-freezer cool to sleep then freeze method, seems like the best option. I'm not sure why the article called it an unacceptable method, I feel they had limited knowledge of how cold-blooded creatures work, because technically it wouldn't be like how we experience hypothermia. I would be curious to know though if animals wake at a certain low temperature or if the "hibernation" just gets beeper until they're gone.
I feel like any animal lover needs to know how to handle situations when it comes to it because I know if I saw a run over turtle on the road, head up looking around, I wouldn't just be able to leave it there. (I remember reading in one of the Frankie Tales about such a case and have wondered since-because one day I know i'll be the "turtle lady" of my neighborhood)

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
I only found this one excerpt in the above link associated with reptiles:

"Rapid freezing—Reptiles and amphibians can be euthanized by rapid freezing when it
results in immediate death. Based on rodent models, it is likely that this can be achieved by
placing animals < 4 g (0.1 oz) in liquid N2.
52 The technique should not be used for species
that have adapted freeze tolerance strategies, as this method may not result in instant
death.607 Placement of animals ≥ 4 g in liquid N2 or other uses of hypothermia are not
acceptable"

Since none of us has liquid nitrogen, I don't think this is helpful, however it DOES say that "...other uses of hypothermia are not acceptable."

This is something I'm very interested in. I take in sick and injured turtles and tortoises all the time. Some are too far gone to keep alive. I feel that the refrigerator method - place the turtle/tortoise in a sealed plastic tub and put the tub in the refrigerator. After the animal has cooled down, at least over night, place the now sleeping animal into the freezer.

Naturally, I call the vet out for animals too large to fit into the fridge.

If anyone has a better method I'm all ears. It's all about being humane. I don't want to cause any more pain and suffering than the animal is already going through, and funds are limited as to how often I can call out a vet to take care of euthanasia.
Hardest subject. I hadn't heard of this refrigerator method for them. I feel it's sensible, and humane.