1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Ever Wonder How Fast A Sulcata Can Grow?

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by Nicole edwards, Jan 2, 2017.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. KarenSoCal

KarenSoCal Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

Location (City and/or State):
    Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
  2. Ray--Opo

Ray--Opo Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Palm Bay Fl
    vladimir and KarenSoCal like this.
  3. Sue Ann

Sue Ann Active Member

chapin , South Carolina
    I love these pics! especially the ones showing him on Walters back. So inspiring.
    KarenSoCal likes this.
  4. JodyK

JodyK New Member

Arizona
    D197783E-AB2D-499C-AAE4-CA1FF055176A.jpeg DB5E0353-9AFF-48D3-A1FE-4645686F9DCD.jpeg
    Awesome! How big is your enclosure? I was recently gifted a Sulcata (Spencer Reid) and while we are moving to a house with a backyard, I’m wondering how big I should make his initial enclosure outside once he’s big enough.
  5. dmmj

dmmj The member formerly known as captain awesome Moderator 10 Year Member!

CA
    It makes my heart swell seeing so many beautiful happy healthy tortoises. You all deserve a round of applause raising such beautiful tortoisez:tort::tort:
    JodyK likes this.
  6. Randy Garrity

Randy Garrity New Member

Peoria arizona
    Im shocked at your tortises fast growth.Then again being a male.Maybe has something to do with it.I have a female I found in the street three years ago this summer.She was kinda slow growing at first.After the first six months she started to really grow and continued for the following year.The last time I was able to weigh her being nine months ago.She weighed just under 11lbs I doubt she weighs more than 15lbs today.Then again females are smaller and weigh less than the males. We enjoy one another always less only when I find her eating our dogs poop!That doesnt at all make me happy. However I cant do anything about it.Since the dogs are not mine and I do clean up there poop as fast as I see it or am home.So yes its impossable to keep the yard free of dog poop.For which Im sure some bad problem will araise. Not to mention she seems to really enjoy eating that crap! OR she wouldnt be found as all often doing just that. So there not at all as clean as Id first thought.Between eating the dogs any chance it gets OR having hers stuck somewhere on her since she poops down in her underground den.That is impossable to reach and clean.Last I seen it went down at a rapid pace to a full 2.5 feet min and then turns left for another few feet.Total tunnel length about 6 feet.And for which I hope will be the end in that direction. Since the block fence is right there.Hopefully has a good semi deep footing.However, I kinda doubt its that deep. More like 18 inches. She doesnt seem to care about digging up to the surface. Just deeper if at all.And larger as she grows.Her condo now has a good dirt pile outside the front door.Which happens to be real close to her tunnel entrance.
    KarenSoCal likes this.
  7. Kalbrecht

Kalbrecht Active Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

Manassas,VA
    Here's my sulcatas 4 years old. Elvis male, Murphy female. Elvis likes to dig but Murphy seems to hind under things rather than dig. 20190330_135230_HDR-1.jpeg
  8. MPappagallo

MPappagallo Active Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    What a great way to show how much a sully can grow in a short amount of time. It is so much easier to visualize it when you see it in pictures! Thanks for posting this!
  9. Barb madera

Barb madera New Member

Phoenix, AZ
    I have had my tortoise, “Monkee”
    About 1-1/2 years now. This is new enclosure. Need to add more hiding spots for him. He just went outside since he is a little to heavy to be picked up by bird. He loves outside. Live in AZ. I give him Kale, dandelions, 2 thin slices cucumbers, grape leaves, collard greens, cabbage, slice strawberry, 1-2 blueberries, small piece pineapple, basil, Bermuda grass, arugula, red pepper, not all at one time, of course, I mix up the amt so he has something different everyday and the amt that he will eat. Anything else I need to know?
    I would like to know if boy or girl
    And I would like to dig a deep hole with something on top covered with dirt so it won’t cave in, suggestions?
    Thank you
    Monkee’s Mom

Attached Files:

EllieMay and xMario like this.
  10. Bee62

Bee62 Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

Germany, Hardegsen
    Only 3 years and they have grown soo big !

PICT2910.JPG

now 2019
    DSCN4852.JPG

Growing too big for their indoor enclosure they`ve got a room in my stable.
    They grow so fast..... I totally love these big dinosaurs.:<3::<3::<3::tort::tort::tort::tort:

Tonight : sleeping. :)
    Hopefully dreaming of another warm day with outdoor exercises tomorrow.:D Good night babies and sleep well.

2019-07-06__23-03-05.png
    EllieMay and SarahHW like this.
  11. EllieMay

EllieMay Well-Known Member

East Texas
    Bee62 likes this.
  12. Birtty8285

Birtty8285 New Member

Brownsville Texas
    Hi new here this is Birtty have no clue if she or he think maybe she cause of super short tail but then again it's the only sulcata tail I've ever seen lol any help be awesome so I can properly name him or her be awesome thanks. 20190725_132555.jpg 15640819987523993160229139513345.jpg 156408203010849861983541024565.jpg

Attached Files:

13. TechnoCheese

TechnoCheese Well-Known Member

Lewisville, Texas
    Much too small to tell. They have to be 15-16 inches before you can sex them.
  14. TechnoCheese

TechnoCheese Well-Known Member

Lewisville, Texas
    Also, be sure that you add a much deeper substrate layer so that you can keep the 80-100% humidity your tortoise needs. Do you have any form of night heating to keep the enclosure above 80 degrees in the coolest part?
  15. Birtty8285

Birtty8285 New Member

Brownsville Texas
    Awesome thanks for that info and yes I put a radiant bulb it's like a coil bulb at lights out thanks for the info again.
  16. Kristy1970

Kristy1970 Well-Known Member

Addis, LA
    Mine eats her own poop first and then hunts out the dog poo, which I usually pick up but sometimes miss if Gizmo is in the back yard and I run in the house for a couple minutes. Ugh...... so gross. I actually pick up Daisy poop and put it in our make-shift fire pit out of landscape bricks, but I don't find it all since she has a very large outdoor enclosure. Now that it has gotten down to the frozen tundra of south Louisiana's high 50's night time temps, I may have to burn that poo along with all the bush trimmings and weeds I toss in it. Wonder if the neighbors will smell it? LOL

vladimir likes this.
  17. Yurtle2019

Yurtle2019 New Member

Phoenix
  18. KateSmeeton

KateSmeeton New Member

Gloucester
    Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 17.58.28.png Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 17.58.43.png I hope these open ok. They are Nancy Drew's weight from when she was about 4 MONTHS old up to 7.5 YEARS and are in grams. Despite the name, Nancy's actually a boy, but who's judging :):tort:
    vladimir likes this.
  19. Florida

Florida New Member

Florida
    vladimir likes this.