Evil russian female

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurtacus

5 Year Member
Have a huge, agressive russian tort that spends most her time bullying anything around her and mounting other females.
I call her Rosie O'donnel.

I had hoped in time she would settle down, or a male would put her in her place but quite the opposite, she took a chunk out of my largest male's neck so I isolated her for a while. Ive tried reintigrate her a few times but as soon as her foot touches the ground she goes into search and destroy mode.

Alone, shes actually very sweet and social twards people. But Id like to breed her.. As it stands I dont see how I could do that.

Any tips on taming a wild bronco or should I just accept her for who she is and/or maybe sell her off?

Snowqueen75

5 Year Member
Lol..My russian is called Rosie (if she is a she) she is only 3 years in september but she was like that with her bro or sis so had to separate them. I swear she is a he but time will tell in a few years time.Only advice is to separate them like I have done and most people will here will tell you the same, dont think you can tame a tortoise they are what they are! Best of luck Lynn x

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
That is a horrible thing to do, naming a tortoise rosie o'donnel, think of how the tortoise feels. :)
Often times russians don't get along, more space and hides can help, but in the end permanent separation is usually the best.
My russians live separate outside and they seem very happy.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ditto....and funny....

as soon as her foot touches the ground she goes into search and destroy mode.

I have a redfoot that lives here that sounds very much the same....he is awesome when he is running solo...so that is how he rolls....and he will even tuck and ram my hand if he thinks it is taking away his food...lol...which is usually every time I reach into offer him his food....but I just love his crazy bad *** attitude...(would be very different if he were one of the big species of course):p

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I have a 'Mean Girl' who lives separately for that very reason. If that isn't possible, then you could likely find her a good home on this forum, as long as they know she does best solo.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
You may try to hibernate them and MAYBE right after awakening a daredevil will... well, dare something and live to tell the tale. They are observed to attempt copulation even during the first day of emergence! I'd say that is the time, now to Release (Patty La Belle) ;) .

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I would separate them too. My russian menaces even the statue in her cage so I am sure she would not get along nicely with others.

Status
Not open for further replies.