EXCESS WATER RELEASE (URINATES)

Rahul15

My baby tortoise releases water everyday
is this normal?
his diet is hibiscus flower, ladyfinger, carrot(sometimes)
he likes hibiscus very much
i don't know if releasing water is good or bad for him

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
It may help the experts on here give you some tips if you mention what type it is. Some kinds of torts may go more frequently than others...
I am no expert..I be a newbie

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
My baby tortoise releases water everyday
is this normal?
his diet is hibiscus flower, ladyfinger, carrot(sometimes)
he likes hibiscus very much
i don't know if releasing water is good or bad for him
A well hydrated tortoise will release water normally when they see more water is available. If drinking or particularly, when soaking, they will commonly release excess water. I soak my stars daily, and they almost always will release water in their soaking tub. Tortoises will also do this when frightened and want to retreat into their shell quickly. In those cases, you want to be sure the tortoise is well hydrated as that is a "fright reflex" independent of how well hydrated they are.

Your diet for your tortoise needs to be improved. Much more variety and more fiber as well as calcium rich foods with a lower phosphorus ratio to calcium. Lady finger is OK to feed, but is not high in fiber at all, and has a slightly negative Calcium to Phosphorus ratio. Its levels of vitamin A are moderately low as well, and tortoises rely on good leafy greens for their vitamin A as that can be a problematic deficiency in stars with a poor diet.

Please read through this post I did on raising stars and leopards.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

Pay particular attention to the diet section. More grasses and weeds would be a valuable addition to the diet for your tortoise. Carrots would be something I would not feed much at all. You mention hibiscus flowers. That is great, but the hibiscus leaves are even better. be sure you are including the leaves as well.

Rahul15

A well hydrated tortoise will release water normally when they see more water is available. If drinking or particularly, when soaking, they will commonly release excess water. I soak my stars daily, and they almost always will release water in their soaking tub. Tortoises will also do this when frightened and want to retreat into their shell quickly. In those cases, you want to be sure the tortoise is well hydrated as that is a "fright reflex" independent of how well hydrated they are.

Your diet for your tortoise needs to be improved. Much more variety and more fiber as well as calcium rich foods with a lower phosphorus ratio to calcium. Lady finger is OK to feed, but is not high in fiber at all, and has a slightly negative Calcium to Phosphorus ratio. Its levels of vitamin A are moderately low as well, and tortoises rely on good leafy greens for their vitamin A as that can be a problematic deficiency in stars with a poor diet.

Please read through this post I did on raising stars and leopards.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-star-tortoise.159167/

Pay particular attention to the diet section. More grasses and weeds would be a valuable addition to the diet for your tortoise. Carrots would be something I would not feed much at all. You mention hibiscus flowers. That is great, but the hibiscus leaves are even better. be sure you are including the leaves as well.

Here in India (Mumbai) not much availability in terms of weed
Only green leafy veggies
hibiscus is available and i tried feeding him coriander but he just wont eat