Excessive urates......

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
it's been a bumper crop of dandelions and clover this spring in Midwest. And my sully Titan has been gorging himself on both; along with at least 7 different grass types. I know that both are high in plant protein content; and was wondering if that is why I am seeing more urates being discharged. They are all milky liquid to toothpaste consistency. Check up x rays showed no stones 4 weeks ago But still an increase in frequency and amount. Titan is also going through a large growth spurt. So are any of these or some of them causing this change? IMG_2943 (2).JPG

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Keep water access, and drinking encouraged with a hose on the lawn running slow sometimes. They eliminate protein metabolic waste better with lots of water. They can't grow without protein, the imbalance come from too little water.

Reactions: Tom

eric joranson

Keep water access, and drinking encouraged with a hose on the lawn running slow sometimes. They eliminate protein metabolic waste better with lots of water. They can't grow without protein, the imbalance come from too little water.
well I would not call it an imbalance; there is access to water source 24/7; see him drinking frequently. Still gets soaked every other day and drinks while soaking. And as I said there is just an increase in the volume and frequency of passing them; all of which are milky liquid to creamy consistency. It urinates with out urates too; and regularly. The only change is the access to lots of fresh dandelions and clover; as well as other grasses; as well as the current growth spurt. But those bright yellow and white flowers just lure him/her in to devour. Another season treat has been mulberry leaves. At 2.5 years of age hes already tipping the scale at 45 lbs; and gaining.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To dilute what the tortoise is eating and increase moisture, this is a rare case where I'd recommend more romaine, cucumbers, and also some spineless opuntia. That growth is too fast. Feed the tortoise some watery "junk" to dilute all that nutrient rich food and add water content too. If you are seeing pasty urates that often, I'd also move to soaking daily for a good hour, in addition to wetting the food and dialing down the high protein stuff.

eric joranson

To dilute what the tortoise is eating and increase moisture, this is a rare case where I'd recommend more romaine, cucumbers, and also some spineless opuntia. That growth is too fast. Feed the tortoise some watery "junk" to dilute all that nutrient rich food and add water content too. If you are seeing pasty urates that often, I'd also move to soaking daily for a good hour, in addition to wetting the food and dialing down the high protein stuff.
I can dial down his/her intake of dandelions and clover with good mowing; which will thrill my neighbors. And as for soaks; he/she self soaks for a least an hour every day; and I give him/her a soak every other day. but as you suggest I will change that to daily again. As for his/her growth rate....the first 6 months he/she had very slow growth; but finally a growth spurt hit and its never slowed down since. And like in some cases of rapid growth I have not seen any evidence of pinched skutes. Xrays last month showed good bone density. I have always wondered about it's lineage; thinking there might be some or all Sudanese in there...a very domey shell and his/her eyes have that prehistoric look. The person I got it from had gotten it at an exotic animal show in a trade for some of her hedgehogs. All she could tell me was that it was born first week in Dec. Still had its egg sack indent when I took him home. So was about 2 weeks old or less. Is there a list somewhere I can check for other safe plants or grasses that have a high protein ratio?
IMG_3346 (2).JPG