abisho15

Location (City and/or State)
Knoxville, TN
Hey guys!

So I have a 5-month-old Sulcata named Gilbert. He's doing great, very healthy, energetic, you name it. I have been weaning him onto cut grass instead of just spring mix and clover flowers (which he'd been eating for a bit as he wouldn't eat grass before -- this is now getting fixed little by little). Anyways, My only issue is his urates. From research, I've heard they're supposed to be smooth and toothpaste-like, but his have never been like that. They've always been gritty and sand-like mixed with the white liquid, and today they came out more like small Nerd's candies. I've been soaking him regularly and keeping his habitat hydrated, he always has access to water, and I've been spraying his food before he eats to get more water in that way, but still no improvement. Does anyone have any advice/tips, and how long does it usually take for him to have healthy smooth urates once fixing the issue? Should he be taken to a vet for an x-ray?

Thanks in advance!

abisho15

Knoxville, TN
Your getting urates because the tortoise is dehydrated. Soaking and spraying isn't enough. You need to keep it in a humid environment. Read This:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
Again, I’ve read those. I do have a closed setup to keep it humid, and I keep his coconut coir substrate moist at all times. Usually around 70-80% humidity at all times. That’s what I don’t get — I’ve been doing everything I can to keep him hydrated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been soaking him regularly

How often is regularly? How many times a week and for how long?

You shouldn't be seeing any urates at all on a five month old sulcata. Clover is high in protein. I don't know if the flowers are high in protein too, but protein coupled with a lack of hydration is what forms the urates.

Sounds like you need a lot more variety in the diet. Grass is good, but babies need lots of other stuff too. Check this one out:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The hard urates tell the tale. Like Sterant said, he's dehydrated. Try spritzing water over his food daily.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I would maybe try to give some food that has a high water content too like Romaine and maybe some cucumber.
I battled gritty urates with my Russian tortoise, I even made a post on here about it. It took 2 weeks to rectify itself, I soaked daily for 30 mins, closed chamber, 80% humidity.
I noticed some urates today again but when I felt it, it was like toothpaste so all is good.