Exhale noises before sleep

Milla

Location (City and/or State)
Finland
Hello, i have a 11-year old leopard tortoise. He occasionally makes these loud exhale noises before sleep. It doesnt happen any other time and it doesnt happen every day or even every week. Have you experienced this kind of behavior and what you think it is? It is not the hissing sound, im familiar with it, and it only happens when he is hidden and getting ready for sleep. He is completely healthy and no breathing issues. No wet nose. Temperatures never drop below 23 celsius (73-74f). Basking area is 40 celsius (104f). He has been doing this for years but then i got worried because i have been reading they should be completely silent… i guess im just paranoid. If you have similar experiences i would like to hear, thanks.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
It's not something I've noticed my leopard doing, but I wonder if your tort is just sniffing the air around him to make sure no predators are about before he settles?

If you post pics of his enclosure we can see if there's anything in his environment that may be causing him to do that.

Milla

Finland
CF45074C-BBEB-494C-99CB-FDC17E38116E.jpeg
Here, its not dusty or anything. There is a carpet where he sleeps.