Extra scute

robotto

Hey guys and gals I'm new here hope I'm writing this in the correct area. Just wondering what's everyone's take on purchasing an eastern hermanns hatchling with an extra scute. Does it really make a difference? I made a purchase and apon receiving pictures of the little guy I noticed he had an extra scute...not advertised that way either.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It should not make a difference as far as health and well being.

Split scutes are usually the result of high incubation temps, so this baby will most likely be female, although there are exceptions.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Some of us are interested in irregular scute. Nothing to worry.

robotto

Awesome thank you for your input everyone. Liked to hearing everyone's thoughts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hey guys and gals I'm new here hope I'm writing this in the correct area. Just wondering what's everyone's take on purchasing an eastern hermanns hatchling with an extra scute. Does it really make a difference? I made a purchase and apon receiving pictures of the little guy I noticed he had an extra scute...not advertised that way either.

Some of us appreciate those aberrations. I love the extra/split scute tortoises.

It won't make a bit of difference in the care or health or growth of the tortoise.