Eyes won’t open

Riley ann

Location (City and/or State)
chino
I have a hatchling from my breeding pair. I found him in the yard with a huge clump of dirt over his head and eyes. I soaked him to get it off. His eyes are shut but they have like dry skin around them. They bother it because he uses his legs to scratch it. He can see shadows and will suck in if you hold your hand above him.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He may have dirt in his eyes. Keep him properly housed with correct heat, lighting and humidity and do at least two warm soaks a day. With your hand, let some of the warm water run gently over his head/eyes to see if you can get them washed out and him to open them

Riley ann

chino
He may have dirt in his eyes. Keep him properly housed with correct heat, lighting and humidity and do at least two warm soaks a day. With your hand, let some of the warm water run gently over his head/eyes to see if you can get them washed out and him to open them

Thank you

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Using a hair spritzer with warm water would be a gentle way to target the face to help get it hydrated and to loosen any remaining dirt without potentially hurting it

Riley ann

chino

I’ve done exactly that for a while and he is aware but he won’t open his eyes. I’ve used a fine mist spray bottle from my chameleon and I’ve used a dropper from fluckers multi vitamin

Riley ann

chino
Poor thing. How long has it been like this?

Bout a month but I’m not sure what to do I don’t have a vet in my area that will take him. The nearest one is 3 hours away and super expensive. I can’t afford it and I’m hoping to find a family that will take him to the vet. He is from my breeders

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I did some reading regarding this problem with sulcatas and tortoises in general. The material covered everything from vitamin A deficiency to dust/contaminates to trapped debris to scratches. Some of the treatments were to boil water and soak a soft cotton ball in it and apply to the eyes at room temperature and ensuring that the heat/humidity is up to par.

Another approach was to administer oral beta-carotene. They advised that vitamin A deficiency is especially prevalent in baby/young sulcatas due to deficient diet. They said not to give them the vitamin A injections as they will not be able to excrete any excess not needed by the body.

Some resources hinted that human eyedrops can be used very sparingly until the tort can be seen by a vet.

The common theme to all treatment I read up on was to get the sully to a vet ASAP. Have you contacted your breeder to get a recommendation (assuming they are local to you)? Best of luck with the little guy. Keep us posted!

Riley ann

chino
I did some reading regarding this problem with sulcatas and tortoises in general. The material covered everything from vitamin A deficiency to dust/contaminates to trapped debris to scratches. Some of the treatments were to boil water and soak a soft cotton ball in it and apply to the eyes at room temperature and ensuring that the heat/humidity is up to par.

Another approach was to administer oral beta-carotene. They advised that vitamin A deficiency is especially prevalent in baby/young sulcatas due to deficient diet. They said not to give them the vitamin A injections as they will not be able to excrete any excess not needed by the body.

Some resources hinted that human eyedrops can be used very sparingly until the tort can be seen by a vet.

The common theme to all treatment I read up on was to get the sully to a vet ASAP. Have you contacted your breeder to get a recommendation (assuming they are local to you)? Best of luck with the little guy. Keep us posted!

I am the breeder but I am not going to sell him until he is healthy and I will continue to do the best I can. I’m doing my best here but I will see if the vet can help me out money wise. He isn’t deficient in vitamins because I do put vitamins on food and soak him in a multivitamin

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
He isn’t deficient in vitamins because I do put vitamins on food and soak him in a multivitamin

I know you're trying your best, and I wasn't trying to insinuate that you weren't. Keep up the good fight!

Riley ann

chino

Little guy opened one after I gently removed this piece of thick skin hanging offIMG_1513959880.598460.jpg his eye looks a little irritated but I expected that because it’s like having constant dirt on his eye

Riley ann

chino
Sad update: little guy gained eyesight out of both eyes but didn’t ever fully close his yolk sac. He lost a lot of weight and his condition began to deteriorate. He passes during the night

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Sad update: little guy gained eyesight out of both eyes but didn’t ever fully close his yolk sac. He lost a lot of weight and his condition began to deteriorate. He passes during the night
So sorry to hear that, sounds like you did everything you could.