Problem with Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
Hi all,
My boyfriend woke up and soaked Woody this morning, while I was taking care of other things. He came and got me and said Woody was holding his head under the water for longer than he has seen before and when he took Woody out, he would not open his eyes. I observed him holding his head out and upward and bringing it back in his shell (he seemed uncomfortable since his eyes wont open). They seem more puffy than usual too.
Is there something I can do?
There is no snot coming from his nose. He has been eating as normal. Temps are good and steady. Eyes seemed fine yesterday.

As I was typing that, he opened his eyes. One is completely open and the other is halfway. I am assuming it will open to normal soon. Hopefully, Has this happened to anyone? Is it signs of something?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
JenniferAnn said:
I observed him holding his head out and upward and bringing it back in his shell (he seemed uncomfortable since his eyes wont open).

Did he gape open his mouth when he did this? Together with the head being submerged for a long time, and not willing to open the eyes, I would say it's very likely there is a respiratory issue or pneumonia.

You might consider a vet visit. Until then what are the temperatures you are keeping him at? I would recommend keeping him in the high 80's to low 90's around the clock until you see some improvement.

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
His substrate is coco coir and spag moss, which he has had for a cpl months now.

He was not opening his mouth when doing that. I was worried it may be signs of an infection.

He has a warm spot near his hide that is 92. Inside his hide is 87. He has another "cool" hide of 72. And another warm area of 95.
I somewhat recently got a warming mat to help with humidity, but that is the only changes.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Watch him for a while. It is very possible he got dirt or something in his eyes thta irritated them. Mine have done that a few times and it usually works itself out. If he starts wheezing, blowing snot bubbles or seeming lethargic, let us know again.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Is he eating? has his activity level changed recently?

JenniferAnn

5 Year Member
He is still eating good. It hasn't happened again since that day, so I guess he just had some kind of irritation. Ill keep an eye on him just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.