Facebook groups

pacific chelonians

Location (City and/or State)
SanDiego California
Not to say anything bad about Facebook groups but I do want to say that they are definitely not a reliable source of information someone posted a photo of a cherry head toward us that has marbling starting to grow in which is perfectly normal but the quote on quote experts believe it needs to be taken to the vet if you take advice from Facebook just please double check it

Attachments

• 7960BB9E-EDAE-426C-AD78-4D0EA3CF2F06.jpeg
    7960BB9E-EDAE-426C-AD78-4D0EA3CF2F06.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 52

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Not to say anything bad about Facebook groups but I do want to say that they are definitely not a reliable source of information someone posted a photo of a cherry head toward us that has marbling starting to grow in which is perfectly normal but the quote on quote experts believe it needs to be taken to the vet if you take advice from Facebook just please double check it
Most of those Facebook groups are run by the same group of lunatics.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those people are nuts and responsible for horrible misinformation and untold immeasurable tortoise suffering.

It says something about your character, and mine, that you would try to be diplomatic and nice to people who I feel deserve neither. They won't get that kindness from me.

pacific chelonians

SanDiego California
I agree I just picked up 2 box turtles from a lady on Facebook who said that she fed them romaine lettuce just romaine poor things are do dry a female Chinese and a female golf cost been soaking them for 2 hours they are still drinking (changing water of course every 20min)

Attachments

• B5107D74-4E0A-4D84-BF6C-93CE8043ECCE.jpeg
    B5107D74-4E0A-4D84-BF6C-93CE8043ECCE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • B21D71EE-F55A-44A6-AECF-8C9D79598CB3.jpeg
    B21D71EE-F55A-44A6-AECF-8C9D79598CB3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
FB is filled with mostly lies and hipacrits. 99% of anything posted shouldn't be trusted unless you know the person. Then you might even find out how fake some of your family and friends are when they are on FB.
Honesty on FB gets you in FB jail. I'm in FB jail a lot lol.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I stopped using FB a long time ago, there are much better uses of my time that that (dang) rabbit ?hole.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Can't say I really disagree with much of this but after seeing this several times I have connected up with 3 great and a 4th good Hingeback forums on facebook. I despise facebook for several reasons but unfortunately this is where these groups landed so mohamed goes to the mountain. Some of us on these forums are doing our part to pass on genuinely true and helpful information as well as what is working for us. Hingebacks are an esoteric and excentric lot and we need all the help we can get with them.

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
I totally agree. I run the Facebook page for our tortoise rescue so I also read other turtle and tortoise Fb pages. OMG. They are ridiculous. Recently on a box turtle group I posted a DIY worm farm to share. I was berated about the species of worms I feed my box turtles, that they can be toxic. When I cited textbook evidence to their lack of citation and evidence, they deleted my posts. Today, I may have, not so accidentally gotten myself banned from that group. They were telling people to never let their box turtles brumate because it is dangerous. They cited another facebook post as their source. HA! (Failed that citation). I responded, with real citations that I know they will delete. I just don't care. Seriously! Ugh! NO more. I will just keep adding reputable info to our Fb page, along with great photos and fun.

Thank you all for being a sound of reason when they are not.

Happy to be part of this group.
Brenda

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I totally agree. I run the Facebook page for our tortoise rescue so I also read other turtle and tortoise Fb pages. OMG. They are ridiculous. Recently on a box turtle group I posted a DIY worm farm to share. I was berated about the species of worms I feed my box turtles, that they can be toxic. When I cited textbook evidence to their lack of citation and evidence, they deleted my posts. Today, I may have, not so accidentally gotten myself banned from that group. They were telling people to never let their box turtles brumate because it is dangerous. They cited another facebook post as their source. HA! (Failed that citation). I responded, with real citations that I know they will delete. I just don't care. Seriously! Ugh! NO more. I will just keep adding reputable info to our Fb page, along with great photos and fun.

Thank you all for being a sound of reason when they are not.

Happy to be part of this group.
Brenda
Mark Z slowly ruining the world!

S2G

AL
I've thought about shutting down my facebook. The only reason I use it is for market place & talking about animals since my wife doesn't care.

The tortoise groups are about as bad as it gets imo. It's like all the people that got told they were wrong here decided to make a safe space for poor info. I really didn't realize how much dogmatic info is spewed on a repetitive cycle with tortoises.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
It's interesting reading about how all of those turtle/tortoise groups were linked. I got banned from one (then invited to another right after) before I gave up on pet groups.

FB is useful for me though. It's how I get all of my conservation news. I look up local stores and reviews. I join local town community stuff, volunteer/event groups for things I like, and show support for actual non-profit groups. I generally just unfollow (but stay friends) with people I know IRL so I don't get annoyed by all of the quizzes and spam posts. Nobody has ever been mad at me when they've asked if I've seen an important post and I say "no, let me go look!"

Jan A

Boulder, CO
It's interesting reading about how all of those turtle/tortoise groups were linked. I got banned from one (then invited to another right after) before I gave up on pet groups.

FB is useful for me though. It's how I get all of my conservation news. I look up local stores and reviews. I join local town community stuff, volunteer/event groups for things I like, and show support for actual non-profit groups. I generally just unfollow (but stay friends) with people I know IRL so I don't get annoyed by all of the quizzes and spam posts. Nobody has ever been mad at me when they've asked if I've seen an important post and I say "no, let me go look!"
Never been on ANY social media platforms except 4 or 5 blog sites, including here. IMHAO, you can't fix stupid. I've tried very, very hard.