Fall ritual for moving torts inside ??

swatsx

5 Year Member
What do you tortoise lovers that live in the northern climates do in prep of moving your tort inside? This is my first year letting my tortoise outside is there anything special you do to move it inside or do you just make sure the indoor tank is ready and move him? Ps I have a Russian tortoise and I live in SE Michigan

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
My leopards I just move. My Russians I hibernate, so there is a very involved process. If I was keeping them up though, I would do just like the leopards.
I do change their diet gradually. I slowly use less weeds and leaves, adding more grocery greens, Mazuri and Grassland tortoise food to switch them to the winter diet.

swatsx

5 Year Member
Yea I half hibernated mine last winter kinda forced into it, bulb blew and she stays in the basement so it was a down hill battle to get her to awake, I plan on fully hibernating her this winter

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a Russians and leopards. I do not hibernate my Russian. I do nothing special to any of them. Not with diet or amount of food, I just move them and continue feeding normally. Only adding more grocery store foods as the natural foods are now deleting or depleted.
If you are going to hibernate, then there are special things with food and water and temps you need to do a couple weeks beforehand. I don't hibernate, so I don't have those instructions. Someone else will have to help with that