Family Day Trip to Death Valley

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Canebrake Ca
Why do more planes go missing on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range than go missing in the Bermuda Traingle?IMG_9230.jpeg
Coming from the Pacific Ocean, east across California, you will end up encountering the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range. The western edge of the Sierra Nevadas is a gradual slope to the higher-elevation mountains. The elevation slowly increases over many miles. On the eastern edge, as seen in the picture provided, the elevation drops off swiftly. On the eastern side, there are many drops in thousands of feet in elevation within just a few miles. This drastic drop in elevation creates turbulent and quiet violent wind events. It is these wind events that take out small aircraft in a wide expanse of mountain ranges with little or no humans around.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Happy birthday 🎂 🥳. I think Death Valley would be such an interesting place to visit. I have family members that live there and they've shared photos. The beauty belies it's name.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Have to pay those California taxesIMG_1010.jpeg
These are the prices we pay everyday to have the luxury of driving around CA...Thank You CA.IMG_1054.jpeg
Really wish this gas station was working, bet the prices would be cheaper. This is in the town of Keeler which is on the opposite side of Owens (no more) Lake Bed. Most travel on the 395 and never get to see this truly special place. It was if time stopped in the 60's or 70's and everyone here just stayed the same. Thought you all would love this picture it is a remnant of a time where respect ruled the land.IMG_1145.jpeg
This pic is looking across the Owens Lake ..... well it's not a lake anymore Los Angeles has taken all the water ... drained the lake and now take every drop that would go into it. That pic is looking to the south
This pic below is looking to the north, same spot just looking North at MT. Whitney with Alabama Hills in front of it and the Lake bed in front of that. Mt. Whitney is the highest point in the Continental US with the lowest spot less than 60 miles away. Alabama Hills is where hundreds and hundred of famous western films were filmed. It is most likely where almost all of the westerns you have ever seen were filmed, google it and check out just how famous this place really is.
IMG_1021.jpeg
How about some of those famous CA wild flowers .....IMG_1050.jpegIMG_1049.jpeg
IMG_1062.jpeg
Mother Natures color palette is fascinating. Imagine trying to paint thee scenes and mix the colors yourself....you would never get all the colors, or get em right at least.

Attachments

• IMG_1027.jpeg
    IMG_1027.jpeg
    902.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1021.jpeg
    IMG_1021.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1027.jpeg
    IMG_1027.jpeg
    902.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1145.jpeg
    IMG_1145.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1120.jpeg
    IMG_1120.jpeg
    802 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1116.jpeg
    IMG_1116.jpeg
    515.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1054.jpeg
    IMG_1054.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1049.jpeg
    IMG_1049.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Sorry if these post end up a little mixed up, this is quite the post or quite the effort to post.... I was unable to continue posting yesterday due to the lack of cell service.

IMG_1151.jpegIMG_1154.jpeg
Here it is the lowest point in North America ... You may have heard of the "Racing Rocks of Death Valley" Well this is the place. The white you see is Table Salt and yes I put some in my mouth to "Test" out what it was they said and if it's true...It wa so damn Salty. I just recently learned that the Racing Rocks are due to Ice, which is sometimes as little as an eighth of an inch thick but able to lift rocks that weigh over 200 lbs. I really enjoyed this place it was a feast for the eyes, absolutely beautiful terrain EVERY WHERE you look. These next pics are of what is called "Artist Palette" which is where all the water runs off into the Basin. The colors ...O my how special. IMG_1194.jpegIMG_1195.jpegIMG_1204.jpeg
IMG_1276.png
IMG_1211.jpegIMG_1214.jpegIMG_1216.jpeg
So I hope you are able to read the signs, I tried to get em for you all. I have never seen anything like this landscape and we all really enjoyed it and appreciated it uniqueness.
Harmony Borax Works (google it) was next on the tour.IMG_1217.jpegIMG_1226.jpegIMG_1228.jpegIMG_1229.jpegIMG_1230.jpegIMG_1231.jpegIMG_1234.jpeg Again hope these signs came out ok. Any of you that have heard of the 20 Mule Teams this is it. The pic of the wagon was so cool. These wagons would head out across this desert loaded with Borax and head towards the Mojave Desert, WOW what Bad Asses those men were. To travel for days without any water extreme heat and a prayer of "Please lord help me across this Devils Playground"
Next was a trek outta state...We have always wanted to leave Death Valley and head towards Beaty,NV. This was NOT a let down, once you reach the peak of the Mts. you are at the bottom of while in Death Valley it opens up into my image of Heaven. It was one of the most magical places I have ever been.IMG_1243.jpeg We WILL be going back to this area to just wander around on foot for hours. Just being here was a spiritual wash of emotions, and then we found "The Sign" it confirmed this is truly my version of Heaven.IMG_1257.jpeg
We are wanting to buy property outside of Beaty,NV as just a place to get away...and of course find Torts. I really don't know what I'd do if I saw a Desert Tort in it's element, in the wild just Living. I do know this though it would include tears, tears of joy. We were unable to go due to time but will go back to visit Rhyolite, NV. Ya gotta google it.IMG_1270.jpeg
I finished with a pic of a Famous Death Valley Cactus. I would post the name but some may find it offensive so I'll let ya google it by yourself.....its name refers to the head of a race of people..a little racist.
I truly hope you enjoyed this and Thank You for sharing my B day with me. The TFO is as special to me as these beautiful places are.
Todays journey is "The Ancient Bristlecone Forest" look for the thread.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This was absolutely wonderful, I would die of happiness to be able to go there! The pics are awesome and so are you for caring to take the time and effort to present them in this very pleasing way! Thank you 😊.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
This was absolutely wonderful, I would die of happiness to be able to go there! The pics are awesome and so are you for caring to take the time and effort to present them in this very pleasing way! Thank you 😊.
And Thank You too, so glad you enjoyed it.