Fans in an enclosure, trying to understand the physics

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
That was kinda my point. With a higher profile, peaked roof such as mine, the ceiling temp inevitably gets hotter than the air being drawn in. Same concept as an attic in most peoples' homes. The fan serves to equalize that effect. For folks in SoCal, NM, and AZ..... perhaps not so much given the temps lately are in the 100's. I don't know how yall deal with that day in and day out!
That is a whole 'nother discussion. As I've travelled and worked around the world, I find people who don't mind the cold and function in it just fine, and other people who find the cold to be horrible and intolerable. Swap out the word "cold" for "heat" in that last sentence and it applies the same. The heat has never bothered me. I always ran the heater super high in my car when I started driving, even in mild weather. I just like it warm. I HATE being cold, I HATE having to wear lots of clothes, and I get really frustrated/angry/irritated when I come in from a cold day and have to peel off an entire load of laundry that I was wearing in a futile effort to stay warm, while suffering the whole day anyway. Its miserable for me. The heat on the other hand doesn't bother me at all. I just walk around in the sun when its 100+ and do what I need to do. I just worked 11 hours in the hot sun today with no shade. No problem. Drink lots of water, wet my head and hat from time to time, and just go about my business. When its over 110 and I have to exert myself, then I just wet my head more, take breaks in the shade, and take a dip in my pool.

I find that this is both genetic, there is sometimes a body condition factor too. Most fat people prefer cooler weather. I will concede that there are exceptions, but I have a friend that has alway been heavy since I've known him. We always ride around in the car with the AC on high, even in winter when its 50 degrees outside. I know to wear a jacket if I'm driving anywhere with him. He had gastric surgery a few months ago and has been steadily losing weight. Now he says he gets cold easily, and doesn't want me to run the AC when its already cool enough. On the other hand, my dad was just like me. He worked outside in the heat all summer long and it didn't other him a bit. My daughter is this way too.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
And if you really get bored;

Building air 1:01

I think there's some confusion on what "cooling" is when it come to fans. "Cooling" is removing latent heat. If we get real technical, there is no such things as "cold", there is just the absence of heat. A smart guy taught me that.

Building air Stratification .....it's the result of thermodynamics and other big words, the hot air will gather at the top, building downward and enveloping things walking around...us in our homes, the Torts in theirs. My attic can get 145 with ease.....we exhaust the "superheated" air and run and outside air makeup via a vent like Tims. In big buildings we add cooler air mechanically generated if we choose, to mix with ducted outside air to the Building air Make up system.
We do this in big buildings, looks like Tim did the same or similar for his guys!
So Fans can "cool" by removing heat from a space.

Fans can also be used to eliminate stratification at the expense of mixing the hotter with cooler air and making it "feel" uniform but taking longer to effectively cool the given volume. Run your home Central unit fan on "On" & you won't experience stratification in the house and will greatly reduce the difference between your upstairs and basement temps but your unit will be running nonstop to carry the load. Removing the hottest air first is the most efficient solution.

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does wind chill have any effect on a tortoise? To clarify, I’m wondering about 10-20 mph wind on a sunny 55-60 degree day, as we sometimes get in winter in my neck of the woods. I’ve always assumed that the sunshine is more of an influence on how a tortoise “feels,” but I’m not comfortable with this assumption. Just curious.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does wind chill have any effect on a tortoise? To clarify, I’m wondering about 10-20 mph wind on a sunny 55-60 degree day, as we sometimes get in winter in my neck of the woods. I’ve always assumed that the sunshine is more of an influence on how a tortoise “feels,” but I’m not comfortable with this assumption. Just curious.
I would have to say "yes" on that. From threads posted by both Tom and Yvonne in the past, both made the recommendation of allowing young torts to be outside in
Yes, it does. I tested this with a temp gun a few years ago. In calm winds and direct sunlight, the shell temp was roughly 20F higher than on a day with same temps but with gusty winds and no sun. I also tested with gusty winds and full sun and the shell temp was around 7-9F cooler than with full sun / no wind. I can't remember the exact outside temp at the time that I tested against, but I'm thinking it was in the lower 60's.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would have to say "yes" on that. From threads posted by both Tom and Yvonne in the past, both made the recommendation of allowing young torts to be outside in

Yes, it does. I tested this with a temp gun a few years ago. In calm winds and direct sunlight, the shell temp was roughly 20F higher than on a day with same temps but with gusty winds and no sun. I also tested with gusty winds and full sun and the shell temp was around 7-9F cooler than with full sun / no wind. I can't remember the exact outside temp at the time that I tested against, but I'm thinking it was in the lower 60's.
But, if its cold out with wind chill then I would not let them out
Like Sulcatas that live in the colder north. On a nice winter sunny day, they may venture out. On those same days, with a cold wind chill, they would likely not venture out. If they do it likely is for a lot less time.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Like Sulcatas that live in the colder north. On a nice winter sunny day, they may venture out. On those same days, with a cold wind chill, they would likely not venture out. If they do it likely is for a lot less time.
Absolutely. For the sake of this discussion, here's a pic I was able to dig up from last winter. No wind and full sun. He had been out of his house for roughly 10 minutes at the point the photo was taken. This is not the pics from the experiment I was discussing with Leo, but demonstrates the point I was making. Outside temp at the time was 28F.272884280_5658114077538256_9164382820387002407_n.jpg

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ

Thank you, Tim. I appreciate the info.

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
Thank you. I like to let my sully out to patrol on sunny days in winter, but I'll keep these sessions brief and return him to his heated house if it's chilly and breezy.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you. I like to let my sully out to patrol on sunny days in winter, but I'll keep these sessions brief and return him to his heated house if it's chilly and breezy.
Only an adult should be let out but he should have his own access to go inside and warm up.

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
Only an adult should be let out but he should have his own access to go inside and warm up.
Leo is about 22 lbs. He has a heated/insulated box, but I need to install a proper door so I can close him in when it gets too chilly. Right now, I'm bringing him inside when it gets too cold (or too hot, like it has been lately; I've been trying to get him to continue various burrows that I've started for him, but he hasn't taken to any of them yet.)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Leo is about 22 lbs. He has a heated/insulated box, but I need to install a proper door so I can close him in when it gets too chilly. Right now, I'm bringing him inside when it gets too cold (or too hot, like it has been lately; I've been trying to get him to continue various burrows that I've started for him, but he hasn't taken to any of them yet.)
You do have to kinda train them. Putting them in the one you want him to use and locking him in for the night. Let him out every morning. Doing this around the same time daily, and he should start to do it on his own.

LeoTheWaywardTortoise

Platinum Tortoise Club
Maricopa, AZ
You do have to kinda train them. Putting them in the one you want him to use and locking him in for the night. Let him out every morning. Doing this around the same time daily, and he should start to do it on his own.
Thanks for the info! I will get the door installed in the not-too-distant future and will get him into this routine as you have suggested.