Farmers Markets

Status
Not open for further replies.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
We have one down the street from where I live every Sunday. I was looking for greens my two little Sulcata’s can eat but they come in such a large amount it would be a waste, however behind most of the stands they chop off quite a bit of greens and toss them in a box for throw away. Too much for me but I thought for those with larger tortoises and tortoises that eat different food then Sulcata’s you could save quite a bit on feeding. They were willing to give me anything they were tossing away for nothing when I told them I had two tortoises, but mine are just too small. It’s sad the amount of tortoise food they toss in the garbage at the end of the day.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
Laura said:
Rich, it sounds like you need to start eating more veggies.. whatever they dont eat.. you can!

I did get some for me :) nothing my torts can eat though. :p

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Cool tip! I hear you can do this at most grocery stores if you're willing to take the large amount.

I have a wetland near my house that doesn't have pesticides for sure. Lately I've taken to pulling a few dandelion greens when I walk through. I need to search other weeds too, but it's free food! I try and find things that are sold in smaller amounts of by the pound. Spring Mix sure is the best deal. A lot of Trevor's favorite foods are things I won't eat. My greatest find recently was 59 cents for radish greens. Went great mixed in with his typical Spring Mix.

Wish I had a redfoot or something and could feed more veggies/fruits like I eat and less greens. Trevor is still really cheap to feed so I can't complain though.

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Well Tallula's mix of endive, raddichio, escarole packet mix is the most expensive in the supermarket, go figure!! (It's imported, ever heard of growing lettuces in the desert in 120F heat! haha) So you sure are lucky!

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
You are very lucky to have a farmer market near your place. Where I live, we do not have one :(. I wish there would be one, there must be all kind of veggies and greens there :D. To bad, they dont give what is left at the end of the day to some animal rescue or something.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
Isa said:
You are very lucky to have a farmer market near your place. Where I live, we do not have one :(. I wish there would be one, there must be all kind of veggies and greens there :D. To bad, they dont give what is left at the end of the day to some animal rescue or something.

I like that idea Isa, in fact I’d be willing to pick it up and take it to them myself if I knew of any animal rescue places in this area.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks for the great tip, Rich!
I am so there--a hunt for left-overs with local farmer's market. I think we have 3 in different parts of Long Beach, CA, on a different day of the week. Beggars can't be choosy but do you dare ask if the produces are made w/out fertizers and pesticides? I think that's the idea, isn't it w/farmer's market where local farmers come?

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
Supposedly but I guess you never really know where they are grown and you never know if fertilizers and pesticides are used. I’d soak them in cold water for a few hours before feeding.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Madortoise said:
Thanks for the great tip, Rich!
I am so there--a hunt for left-overs with local farmer's market. I think we have 3 in different parts of Long Beach, CA, on a different day of the week. Beggars can't be choosy but do you dare ask if the produces are made w/out fertizers and pesticides? I think that's the idea, isn't it w/farmer's market where local farmers come?

If they're organic they should say they're organic. If it doesn't say then chances are it's not. You shouldn't even have to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.