fast growth ?

Y

yare666

So is she growing too fast? If not can someone explain this. What can cause it. Do I feed her to much?
The last time I was in vet with her and I asked about it ,he said not to worry. But for me it doesn't look good. Overall she's doing great. Screenshot_20240619-211814_Gallery.jpg

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hello!
Can you give us more details, please?
1. Tortoise species and age
2. Is it kept indoors or outdoors?
3. What heating and lightning are used in the indoors enclosure?
4. What diet?

At this photo it looks like deformity from too intense heat source, but it's just a guessing.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome to the forum!
I’ll allow some of the more experienced members to answer your question here, but in the meantime if you could answer some questions about your set up that’d be super helpful!🙂

What size enclosure are you keeping him in? Working under the assumption you have a Russian/herman here? I can’t tell by your photo for sure, but the shell pattern looks kind of Herman to me lol. He ideally needs a bare minimum of an 8x4 foot set up to roam once he’s an adult, roaming is absolutely vital to the well being of tortoise health, it strengthens their muscles and aids in digestion, they’d walk miles in the wild.

What lights are you using? What is your uv situation?
Your basking area temp? Ambient day temp? Night temp?

For the basking area he needs a incandescent floodlight(pic attached) avoid anything that says halogen or mercury vapour, it needs to be on a 12hour timer, directly under the bulb should be reading 95-100f(36-37c) the rest of the enclosure should ranging 75-80

Night can drop into 60’s, if your house drops lower than that a CHE(ceramic heat emitter) on a thermostat will be needed.

For uv you need a t5 fluorescent tube light, I’d personally recommend the Arcadia brand, it comes with a built in reflector fitting as to not waste any uv light, this needs to be on a separate 4hour timer from noonish mounted about 18-20 inches from the substrate. Also included a pic on how some people mount those.

What’s your humidity reading?

How old is he roughly?

How’s their diet?

What substrate is it you’re using? I’d personally recommend orchid bark, you want to aim for a damp bottom layer and a dryer top layer, to stop that top layer getting a little too dry though mix the substrate now n then. To maintain your humidity, pour lukewarm water into the corners of the substrate, not loads but enough to dampen the bottom layer, keep and eye on your monitors and substrate to do the pours as and when needed👍

Try and upload a photo of your set up if you can! It’s so helpful for the members advising!

Attachments

• IMG_1683.png
    IMG_1683.png
    151.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1669.png
    IMG_1669.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1672.jpeg
    IMG_1672.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1
Y

yare666

1. hermann tortoise , probably 25 or more
2. She indoor and outdoor ( depends of season )
3. 75 w - heat lamp ,maybe 30 cm from her and uvb 10 but she also had 5
4. She eats what's in season. For example now she eats dandelion, nettle, Plantain, clover and she eat what she can find in the garden. And sepia.

She has dry looking scutes because she probably had an rot shell or something, that's what vet said.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
4. She eats what's in season. For example now she eats dandelion, nettle, Plantain, clover and she eat what she can find in the garden. And sepia.

She has dry looking scutes because she probably had an rot shell or something, that's what vet said.
That is old growth. She's not growing at 25 years old. Nothing to worry about.

Check this out for more helpful info:

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK

She has dry looking scutes because she probably had a rot shell or something, that's what vet said.
All sounds about right, is the uv a t5 bulb?
And your temps reading ok?🙂

Y

yare666

That is old growth. She's not growing at 25 years old. Nothing to worry about.

Check this out for more helpful info:
I think it is a new growth. Because I have seen a change in time and it is lighter than old growth.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I think it is a new growth. Because I have seen a change in time and it is lighter than old growth.
It would be very unlikely for her to be growing at that age, may I ask what size her enclosures are? If we could get a pic of them too that’d be great! Mainly because I like looking a new members set ups lol, always fun to see what kind landscape you go for🙂

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus

This sounds fine. However if you use 75W halogen spot heat lamp - it can be too desiccating. If it's flood or pear shaped incandescent - it's fine. For UVB a T5 tube should be used (not a mercury vapour or compact fluorescent lamp).

Shell rot is something, which should be properly treated and scute damage is often obvious. Did she receive any treatment? Also shell rot is not very common condition and happens when tortoise is housed seriously wrong, so probably it's not the case here.

The concerning areas look like a new growth yet nothing should be done about it - feed her as much as she wants, ensure there is enough calcium in diet and supplementation (pinch of calcium powder once a week). And proper UVB exposure, of course, when she is kept indoors for prolonged time.