Father finds Turtle 47yrs later WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banshee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tampa, Florida
Very cool to find the turtle still alive that many years later, but we need to educate our children better! Carving initials into a living animal? :(

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Jeez, how does one "carve" their initials into a shell like that. It's cool they found it again, but the carving part sounds rather, well, cruel.

LeaderLeprechaun

5 Year Member
Mississippi
Banshee said:
Very cool to find the turtle still alive that many years later, but we need to educate our children better! Carving initials into a living animal? :(

that was 47 years ago lol they hardly knew much of the information we now know. xD i dont agree with it but several states in the usa actually allow the torture of certain species of turtles so i would be more concerned with the turtle rallies they have in oklahoma than what happened 47 years ago ;P

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Forty-seven years ago isn't that long. I'm not that far away from 47 and I knew better than doing something like that to an animal.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Ouch! I agree about the carving. Even 47 years ago, if anyone in my family ever did that to one of my Fathers Box Turtles, he would have had a fit. My Dad's Eastern box turtle wasn't too young when he found him and he died two Summers ago, and he was well over 65 years living in our back yard. That's really cool that they found him though....very interesting article...thanks Jeff.

Akronic

5 Year Member
hey they did have older versions of the Dremel tool back then haha. my grandfather used to have either a box turtle or a tortoise (this was in El Paso, Tx) and my dad said his dad put a ring though the back marginal scute. i dont think it was to tie it up but more the identify it, all the kids were trying to take it from the yard. they didnt have micro chips back then, still that's a trip 47yrs and that lil guy was still around. usually predators or road kill gets em before that long

Status
Not open for further replies.