Favorite Snakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Im a boa man. When I had snakes the boas just portrayed a docile and beautiful characteristic to me.

Peruvian, suriname, guyana, brazilian, and columbian redtails. Central american boas too.
boelens pythons.
my favorite would be the indian python which is now listed endangered.
Madascagan ground and tree boas were also awesome.

gary27

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Louisiana
1. Western Hognose
2. Southern Hognose
3. Mexican Milksnake
4. Sand Boa
5. Garter Snake

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
If we're talking snakes that I'd never keep in my house, I am enthralled by mambas, mostly the green mamba, although the black mamba is certainly more terrifying.

I think gaboon vipers are cool, but I read a story about what they can do to people, and I will say that they will never be on my list of favorites :p

If we are talking snakes to own, I will also be very lame and say CORN SNAKES. :)

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Today my favorite is the Woma python. In large part because they're so big and calm and easy to interact with. Nothing cures a bad day like curling up with Amun-Ra. Except curling up with a big dog, but Sam isn't allowed on furniture anymore for the same reason my floor isn't very sanitary to lay on anymore. =P

Wookit da cute widdle face. Doesn't he wook so cuddwy?
81964_232280_VeryLarge_3CSNKsKa8V.jpg

CLMoss said:
Snakes are beautiful; however, they should be enjoyed in a zoo.

There are a great many people that would say the same about tortoises... ;) But, to each his own; I'll keep enjoying my pet snakes, and you can keep enjoying your zoo snakes...

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
I have a 4-5 foot ball python and an 11 foot albino Burmese python. Of the two, I like the Burmese because he's so pretty, also impressive.
bathtime.jpg

Here's the Burmese, Buster, trying to cram all of his coils into his water dish. I guess he decided it was bath day.
Here he is having a proper bath:
busterswimming.jpg

And this is the ball python, Sweety, hanging out in the mimosa tree:
sweety.jpg

Floof said:
Today my favorite is the Woma python. In large part because they're so big and calm and easy to interact with. Nothing cures a bad day like curling up with Amun-Ra. Except curling up with a big dog, but Sam isn't allowed on furniture anymore for the same reason my floor isn't very sanitary to lay on anymore. =P

Wookit da cute widdle face. Doesn't he wook so cuddwy?
81964_232280_VeryLarge_3CSNKsKa8V.jpg

CLMoss said:

There are a great many people that would say the same about tortoises... ;) But, to each his own; I'll keep enjoying my pet snakes, and you can keep enjoying your zoo snakes...

So cuddly! I want one!

P.S: I don't kiss my snakes.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Gorgeous snakes! Love the Burm bath tub... Little snakes bathe in sterilites. Burmese pythons bathe in SWIMMING POOLS! :D

And thank you! Amun-Ra is quite the cuddler. Or, more accurately, he's very tolerant of being cuddled. Lol! Sometimes I envy a snake's view on the world. As long as it's not trying to kill them, it's not an issue; as long as it isn't food, it's nothing to get excited about. So simple and easy.

Kenazfehu

5 Year Member
Puget Sound
Buster has been getting a bit more aggressive in recent months. It seems that he always has to verify that we're not food. It's a little unnerving!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I've only kept in my home the standard "beginner" snakes......the ball python and the cornsnake. I love them both but if forced to choose Id pick the cornsnake. I like that they are more active and alert than ball pythons. and of course they are beautiful with so many morphs to choose from. But there are other snakes that interest me that I've never had. The western hognose, the rainbow boa, the spotted python to name a few.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
CLMoss said:

While I respect one's right to an opinion, and to each his own...I just have to share mine!

I have to say it is disappointing to find this kind of narrow-minded perspective on a reptile-themed forum. What a sad, depressing state of affairs it would be if our only contact with exotic animals was through zoos? Like someone else already stated, there are people who feel the same way about tortoises, or about reptiles as whole, that NO ONE should keep ANY of them except for zoos (and some individuals have gone as far as to say they could live without them being in zoos, too!). I've also encountered folks who feel likewise about sugar gliders, hedgehogs, chinchillas, ferrets, large parrots, just to name a few.

There are five different zoos within a 4 hour driving distance from me, and I can say that two of them take only marginal care of their herp species on exhibit. The other two are borderline neglectful. (haven't been to the last one so I can't really comment one way or another). My point is that there's countless threads on this forum of members ranting about how deplorable zoos can be with reptile husbandry. In contrast, most of the private keepers I know take excellent care of their animals; and this goes for tortoise keepers and snake keepers alike.

Another thing...at many zoos, your only experience is observing the listless creature through an inch of glass. I can't speak for anyone else, but my local herp society regularly does educational presentations at schools, library fund-raisers, festivals, etc. where we bring a variety of reptiles for people to pet and touch and interact with...an experience they rarely get at any zoo. Its one thing to just look at an animal in a cage. But there's a connection when you actually get to feel that snake's scales, or that turtle's carapace, or see that lizard's colors change right before your eyes. People really listen when you're talking about conservation or telling them how to identify venomous snakes from harmless ones, etc. They learn a lot more than just reading a plaque next to an exhibit.

Our society just got through hosting a "Reptile Awareness Day" last weekend, and let me tell you, kids LOVE snakes! We had one guy came in with a few larger pythons (he regularly does birthday parties, and things like that on his own), and all day, kids were petting these gentle, giant snakes, right along with the iguanas, and the tortoises, etc. They never get that at zoos, or if they do, they usually have to pay through the nose to experience it.

Now, I know something can be said for dangerous exotic animals like primates, big cats, bears, wolves, and likewise, I agree some caution should be taken when people keep the larger constrictors and venomous species of snakes. There's definitely a responsibility factor involved, as there is with large dog breeds, horses and large livestock, operating heavy machinery, riding motorcycles, sky-diving, etc. But to say that no one should be allowed to keep them ever?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
StudentoftheReptile said:
Now, I know something can be said for dangerous exotic animals like primates, big cats, bears, wolves, and likewise, I agree some caution should be taken when people keep the larger constrictors and venomous species of snakes. There's definitely a responsibility factor involved, as there is with large dog breeds, horses and large livestock, operating heavy machinery, riding motorcycles, sky-diving, etc. But to say that no one should be allowed to keep them ever?

My view on it is: If it has the ability to kill a grown male, it shouldn't be kept like a pet. Now, if you want to keep a venomous snake in a locked enclosure with absolutely no way of getting out unless it's being handled by someone with oodles of experience, then by all means, go right on ahead. Same goes for people with primates, big cats, bears, wolves, etc. but I see too many people that think their wild and dangerous exotics are "friendly" and "love them". These kinds of stories usually end with someone getting ripped to shreds by a beloved family "pet".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
futureleopardtortoise said:
but I see too many people that think their wild and dangerous exotics are "friendly" and "love them". These kinds of stories usually end with someone getting ripped to shreds by a beloved family "pet".

This is sadly, all too true. We've all seen the chimp, bear and big cat stories on the news or TV. What you don't see on the news is the 100's of people in my business that I personally know, that go decades without ever having any "incidents".

The only comment I have is that we need to avoid the pitfall of infringing on the rights of millions, because of a few dumba$$es that are so monumentally stupid that they cause a disaster and end up on the news. I say: Punish the few idiots and leave the millions with some common sense alone.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
My view on it is: If it has the ability to kill a grown male, it shouldn't be kept like a pet. Now, if you want to keep a venomous snake in a locked enclosure with absolutely no way of getting out unless it's being handled by someone with oodles of experience, then by all means, go right on ahead. Same goes for people with primates, big cats, bears, wolves, etc. but I see too many people that think their wild and dangerous exotics are "friendly" and "love them". These kinds of stories usually end with someone getting ripped to shreds by a beloved family "pet".

One could argue that a large adult dog has such ability. In fact, some owners train their dogs for this precise purpose.
---
But I agree...the operative word here is "pet." Which personally, there are very few reptiles I would really categorize as true "pets" anyway.

Really the faction of snake owners that keep large giant constrictors is a small one compared to the demographic who keep harmless ball pythons, cornsnakes and kingsnakes, etc. (small species that rarely grow over 5 ft and present less of a threat to a child than a medium-sized dog). The faction who keep venomous is drastically smaller than that! Yet people lump them all under one. Its like saying people shouldn't own dogs because you don't like timber wolf-hybrids. How many people in America actually keep wolf hybrids compared to everyone who owns golden retrievers, black labs, poodles, dachsunds, chihuahuas, terriers, etc?
------
And I also agree...there are some exotics that quite simply unfit for the average person to keep. But in general, large constrictors and hots notwithstanding, most snakes are remarkably easy captives, docile, and present little risk to their keepers, certainly no more than dogs, cats, other small mammals & large psittacines. There's no legitimate reason to prejudice the owning of them in the private sector.

Tom said:
The only comment I have is that we need to avoid the pitfall of infringing on the rights of millions, because of a few dumba$$es that are so monumentally stupid that they cause a disaster and end up on the news. I say: Punish the few idiots and leave the millions with some common sense alone.

I agree!

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Tom said:
This is sadly, all too true. We've all seen the chimp, bear and big cat stories on the news or TV. What you don't see on the news is the 100's of people in my business that I personally know, that go decades without ever having any "incidents".

I am not saying that all "wild animals" should be taken out of privately owned captive situations. And I'm sure your friends fall into the category of "someone with oodles of experience", and probably also understand that the tiger or other dangerous creature they keep in their care is tolerant of them and even nice to them due several factors that don't include love :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom said:

I am not saying that all "wild animals" should be taken out of privately owned captive situations. And I'm sure your friends fall into the category of "someone with oodles of experience", and probably also understand that the tiger or other dangerous creature they keep in their care is tolerant of them and even nice to them due several factors that don't include love :p

You are correct on all counts. :)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
StudentoftheReptile said:
One could argue that a large adult dog has such ability. In fact, some owners train their dogs for this precise purpose.
I agree!

Anyone that argues that probably hasn't thought about the fact that dogs have been kept as pets for thousands of years, and most of the larger breeds of dogs are actually some of the furthest bred from wolves. They also failed to consider the fact that as a pack animal, the dog and even wolves are very receptive to training and bonding with humans because humans will generally replace their "pack". Biggest difference between wolves and dogs is that for thousands of years dogs have been bred to maintain the mentality that wolves outgrow upon reaching sexual maturity. Dogs and young wolves are very submissive and always willing to learn from those higher up than them in the pack. Wolves outgrow this after being taught all they really need to know about pack life, and then their mentality becomes "if the leader is weaker than me, I am going to take him down and become the leader myself". I am willing to bet that most grown wolves see humans as physically and mentally weaker than themselves, which is why most privately owned wolves that are kept as pets either end up euthanized or thrown into a reserve before their second birthday.

I'm not in any way an advocate for getting rid of every exotic animal. I just think that it is ludicrous to assume they are actually your "pets"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Anyone that argues that probably hasn't thought about the fact that dogs have been kept as pets for thousands of years, and most of the larger breeds of dogs are actually some of the furthest bred from wolves. They also failed to consider the fact that as a pack animal, the dog and even wolves are very receptive to training and bonding with humans because humans will generally replace their "pack". Biggest difference between wolves and dogs is that for thousands of years dogs have been bred to maintain the mentality that wolves outgrow upon reaching sexual maturity. Dogs and young wolves are very submissive and always willing to learn from those higher up than them in the pack. Wolves outgrow this after being taught all they really need to know about pack life, and then their mentality becomes "if the leader is weaker than me, I am going to take him down and become the leader myself". I am willing to bet that most grown wolves see humans as physically and mentally weaker than themselves, which is why most privately owned wolves either end up euthanized or thrown into a reserve before their second birthday.

Here you are wrong on all counts. Both about the wolves and the dogs. Sorry...:(

... AND regardless of all the particulars, I have to agree the the danger levels represented by Mike still stand. In fact I would go farther than him and say that even tiny dogs present more of a threat to a person than a king, corn or ball python. I have been injured worse by an aggressive 8 week old puppy (very unusual case) than any snake I've ever handled, including some true giants and lots of venomous snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.