FedEx..Horrible experiences...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Just need to vent and hear if I'm just unlucky... I get quite a few packages ( live animal) and the last 4 deliveries from Fedex spaced out throughout the month have been horrible.. First time.. mechanical issues.. Package delivered at midnight .. (One of the tortoises never recovered and passed...). Package 2 .. Package arrived 6 hrs late..local hub issues.. Package 3 arrived 3hrs late..driver left hub late..package 4 2hrs late..new driver...and that brings me to today... Package picked up scanned yesterday in Cali at 1:29pm. Now no one knows where package is....

Anyone else have experiences like this?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I had a package (I shipped) delayed one day, a few times. The tortoise has so far always come through Okay.

A couple of things to consider that might help. First, If you are the shipper, buy the FedEx through a consolidator. I use Superior Shipping Supplies, but other folks use Ship Your Reptile and Reptiles Express. That way at least the shipping cost is refunded if there is a mishap. Second, use the will call at the destination FedEx office. It cuts out at least one set of hands/driver, and means the animal is at the location often several hours sooner - you can pick-up right away when they open, not late morning or mid day.

Don't use satellite offices (Kinko's), use Global Shipping offices. It can be difficult to sort out which is which, but the people at the consolidators can tell you.

These won't solve all the issues you talk about but they help out to reduce some of the problems that can come up.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I thought about picking up at local hub ( 3 hrs round trip) but I always find out its delayed when it doesn't show up on time.. By then it's on the truck.... I just got a call from FedEx customer advocate and was told there still don't know where the package is.. You would think live animal deliveries would be monitored much better than an average dry goods package...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
If you haven't already, I'd also sign up for their online service. It notifies you anytime a package with your address enters their system, and allows you to track the package. If there's a delay, etc, it may help you find out sooner.

FedEx Delivery Manager

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
If you haven't already, I'd also sign up for their online service. It notifies you anytime a package with your address enters their system, and allows you to track the package. If there's a delay, etc, it may help you find out sooner.

Will give it a try... I do get notified now... It doesn't say package delayed..it just tells me when packages are scanned...I have to wait untill after delivery time and call... Only to be told package is on truck and delayed...

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
For instance package today.. I'm told they don't know where it is... Could arrive on time could be lost..

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
We use FEDEX a lot, so far no issues. I have the live animals held at the local facility for pick up. The receiver is called or texted when the animal can be picked up. I stopped home delivery a long time ago to avoid all the issues mentioned. Also always check the weather in the transfer location. On the east coast, all shipments from FEDEX go through Memphis or Indianapolis. If there are any weather issues being reported, I ship a different day. This is the best way to avoid the issues you are having. Your only other option is Delta or Southwest which will cost more but shorter travel time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ever since the company I used to use (can't remember their name) decided to only ship out of country and not local, I've been using UPS. Other than the driver holding the package upside down and not being as careful with it as I would like, or leaving it by the gate and me not knowing for all day long, I haven't had any problems with them.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Oh, Lordy let me tell you about Fedex..................
Three times in a row the idiot driver left packages for me at nw 25th court instead of nw 25th street. (My street.) The first two times, he/she went back and figured it out after I lodged a complaint. The third time the fellow from nw 25th court just bought me the package.
The topper, however, and why I will NEVER use Fedex to deliver ANYTHING for me in the future happened two valentines days ago.
The wife and I went on a nice vacation, but I wanted her to have something nice to open up on Valentines morning, so I ordered her two pair of inexpensive gold ear rings. (maybe $225.) the shipper said they shipped UPS. However, it was sent Fedex. I informed my new friend on nw 25th court.
The obligatory few days went by and I checked the status on line. It said it was delivered the day before!
I checked with nw 25th court. Nothing.
I called Fedex to lodge another complaint. Missing package. They said it would take two days to complete the investigation.
Two days later I had to call them back with my case number in hand and was told that the investigation was done and that the package HAD BEEN delivered to my house. Period. (During a time of the day I would have been home.)
The verdict was that it must have been stolen....or that I was mistaken and was just trying to cash in on some discount jewelry?:rolleyes:
Fedex has NO G.P.S. units on their trucks!! What a GREAT idea!! I couldn't prove he/she never came.
I called the retailer and my credit card company and started that ball rolling, when three days later, I was sitting on the couch reading a magazine and I saw a Fedex truck quickly pull up and stop in front of my house. Before I could get to the door, the driver and truck sped off and all I saw was the back of the truck rounding the corner.
I turned to go back inside and found a smashed and filthy package next to my door. The ear rings!!
I called the supervisor at Fedex (We knew each other by then)and told him that the package that was "CONFIRMED" delivered to me last week has just been tossed at my door by a driver looking to remain anonymous..... That the "lying scum bag" just returned and delivered said package....Proving that he/she hadn't in the first place!!

Not long afterward a supervisor actually came to my house. Nice fellow, too and full of apologies. But he could not answer why I have only had one minor issue with U.P.S. in HUNDREDS of transactions but have had "total incompetence dealing with Fedex four out of four times."
He assured me that the driver should be and would be reprimanded, but since I never saw the bum, I couldn't provide a description. So it would be hard to be sure who it was.......With no G.P.s.
That was the last time I ever dealt with that outfit, and Lord help me, I hope I never have to again.

Last edited:

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
Just called them again I'm told cant locate package...but shows delivered to local hub... Local hub states no packages there..so could / should be on truck..... Other than that they apologize once again for the inconvenience ..... As for FedEx ground..they are as bad as lasers ship...

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I haven't had animals shipped, but i shop a lot online and i have noticed that if i ask the UPS site to send me a notification at delivery (deliveries are to another location as i live up a steep mud hill) i always get an instant email when the delivery guy scans it upon delivery.
Whereas with FedEx or USPS, it takes over 24 hours after delivery before they send out confirmation. In this digital age.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I ship through ShipYourReptiles which uses Fed-Ex overnight delivery. In the three years that I have been shipping my hatchlings I have only had one incident where the container that my overnight box was in for some reason was not loaded onto the airplane. The box arrived one day late, however, other than being extra hungry the hatchling was fine.

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
FedEx had some problems yesterday. Many many packages were delayed at the major hubs. I shipped a crested gecko out on Monday and it didn't arrive until 1:30pm yesterday. From what the Ship Your Reptile staff told me, severe thunderstorms and a break down in the Fedex package scanning system created a mess for a lot of people. The gecko arrived safely. I have been shipping reptiles for over 15 years. I will not hesitate to continue using them. Sometimes things happen that are out of their control, however, they still do their best to get the package to its destination.

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I find the fact that they don't differentiate between dry goods and animal unexceptable .. I understand things happen. I have 8-10 packages delivered a week. UPS has always made there commitment. FedEx last 5 priority before 12pm shipments have all arrived late...4 because either late arrival at hub or mechanical issues. Today I was informed by the manager at the Hub that bike week in Daytona has caused delay not the weather in Memphis..It's not like bike week is something new..I would have thought they had some plan in place to deal with the crowds...I have a freind that works for FedEx and another that works for UPS...The UPS friend tells me..there told deliver all time sensitive deliveries before doing anything else... I'm told Fedex drivers are told to follow there outlined route... I just received the package... It's 83*F here today...the temp in the insulated box 52*F That Tells me the animal was left out in the cold in Memphis ...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I thought I was the only one that had lousy delivery services. Luckily I have not had any animals shipped in a long time. However, other packages from all three, UPS, FEDEX, and USPS all lazy, can't reach up to push the door bell, terrible service. Unfortunately, those are our choices of shippers

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My first experience is a nightmare that just ended today. I shipped 2 babies Tue afternoon via ship your reptiles. Overnight Spokane to Portland OR. Yesterday the buyer n I kept getting different info. Nothing updated. They say their tracking system is down. 5.30 this morning the tracker is updated from delivery noon yesterday to who knows. After over an hour on the phone this morning I went to the local office and explained to the manager there was a chance they are still alive, and that I understand the tracking system is down, but the phones work. I refused to leave until he found the package and verified it was being delivered. Both babies survived after finally being delivered 22 hours late. Very frustrating 24 hours for me. I Am certainly considering UPS in the future.