Feed. Quantity etc

Steve_carter

Location (City and/or State)
UK
His shell looks a bit "collapsed" at the back.
I think that's just the photo/angle. Doesn't look untowards when you see him. Looks rounded. We regularly take photos of him from when we got him to see differences etc he looks loads better now from receiving him. Should I be concerned now you've mentioned it?

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I think that's just the photo/angle. Doesn't look untowards when you see him. Looks rounded. We regularly take photos of him from when we got him to see differences etc he looks loads better now from receiving him. Should I be concerned now you've mentioned it?
Maybe post more pics and get more opinions.

Steve_carter

UK
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471428478.964578.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1471428491.247780.jpg
Some more piccys of his food. Plenty weeds including dandelion & pansie leaves with a dash of clover, romaine lettuce & red leaf

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Yep, looks like it was just the angle. Looks good in these pics! I think the black on tan creates a bit of an optical illusion effect.

Steve_carter

UK
Yep, looks like it was just the angle. Looks good in these pics! I think the black on tan creates a bit of an optical illusion effect.

Yeah I agree and it was only after I looked back at the picture i saw where you were coming from. He's got a lot of black on him. He's looking great & he's a happy chap so all good. Thanks for pointing out though. Always good to have second eyes

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I feed twice a day, always put out more than what they eat. Once they are outside full time I'll feed daily, there'll be plenty of plants, snails for them to graze on. Mine are yearlings. Before they reached 12 months, I tried to feed 3x day depending in how they did day before. Now, mine are little "special". One of the babies was shipped to me very early and was not eating, begun looking like he wouldn't make it. That's probably why I became so crazy and overprotective about them. Today they are both thriving.and btw your tortie is a cute little darling!

Steve_carter

UK
I feed twice a day, always put out more than what they eat. Once they are outside full time I'll feed daily, there'll be plenty of plants, snails for them to graze on. Mine are yearlings. Before they reached 12 months, I tried to feed 3x day depending in how they did day before. Now, mine are little "special". One of the babies was shipped to me very early and was not eating, begun looking like he wouldn't make it. That's probably why I became so crazy and overprotective about them. Today they are both thriving.and btw your tortie is a cute little darling!
Thanks Pearly. Tort is a cutie. Cheeky little rascal! Haha. Bless you, something me & my girlfriend were discussing about quantity and how many times daily. We want to give him enough but we were afraid that giving him too much may be over feeding him. From the beginning of this thread & advice received we have increased his food. He eats what he wants to eat, goes for a bask, has a snooze & goes back for more & cleans his plate. Love him.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I don't believe in overfeeding the tort, especially one that's still growing. They unlike us humans eat what they need to metabolize for energy stores to survive cold weather, or procreate. When my daughter feeds our babies and I find no leftover food I always tell her to prepare little more next time. Torts that are being properly housed and able to get physical exercise (they all need to walk! A lot!!!) are very unlikely to overeat. So make your little tortie happy and let him have his fill and develop sense of food security. Be that Food God who always brings that warm happy feeling of a full/satisfied tummy:)