Question about weight

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
We have had Clyde about 3 months now (and he was about 3 months when we got him so right 6 months old). He is active, eats like a champ, and has a great little personality. We have seen a noticeable size growth since we got him. He just looks bigger in my hand now than when we got him and his little arms and legs look thicker.

I got a scale maybe 3 weeks ago and he weighed in at about 35 grams and this morning he was about 39. Is that weight in a good range for a 6 month old? He was a bit of a runt out of his clutch as well.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Forgot to include diet but it was too late to edit.
He is fed daily a pile slightly larger than he is. He normally finishes 80-95% but some days he does eat it all. The food options rotate weekly. Each week I'll provide 2-4 things from this list:Romaine lettuce, Red and green leaf lettuce, Endive, Escarole, Radicchio, Chicory, Turnip greens, mustard greens, Kale, Collard greens, Spring Mix. When picking for the week I make sure nothing is doubled up from the last two weeks so he has variety (ex. If he gets lettuce one week I make sure he doesn't have it again for at least two weeks).

He has dry food from mazuri we offer about once a week as well.

I am in the process of growing the seed mix from tortiose supply but it's winter here so getting good light is hard. Potted some in Clyde's tank under his uvb, hoping for good results.

Rhea

Missouri
I have a 7 month old Russian. I question this too because my girl is extremely big! She was 157 grams last week. Her hatch date was June 2, I think. I’m not at home so I don’t have the info at hand. She was 52 grams when she was shipped. I got her Sept 28. Your guy is little. I’ve cut back on mazuri because she loves it.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
That's crazy! What a range. Clyde will nibble the mazuri but mostly ignores it. I will soak the pellets to mush and cover his greens in it and he will eat it that way but not just as pellets alone.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
That's crazy! What a range. Clyde will nibble the mazuri but mostly ignores it. I will soak the pellets to mush and cover his greens in it and he will eat it that way but not just as pellets alone.
Large adult tortoises will eat dry Mazuri (Original formula NOT LS) babies no way. I would offer more softened Mazuri to help stimulate growth. Sounds like he may be being kept too dry? This is a guess. I believe even Russian babies need some humidity. A daily warm shallow bath is good too. Around 95 degree water.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
He gets a 20 minute bath each morning and humidity is between 65%-85% at all times.

I will definitely start soaking pellets more often.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Missed the edit cut off again. How often should I offer the mazuri? I was under the impression it was sub-par to greens so I didn't supply it much, maybe once or twice a month. I crushed up some pellets and moistened them and he is happily eating it now without me having to put it over his greens.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Do they look like this? Just curious because you keep saying pellets where these are more like nuggets. The Mazuri LS is a pellet. Doesn't really matter if yours will eat it the LS will work but usually mazuri LS is not as appetizing to them as the original formula. Mazuri as a stand-alone food is not preferred however there are nutrients added to the Mazuri that they may not get in Greens so variety is best. So one nugget moistened on a bed of different types of greens each day and I'll bet he'll start growing in no time....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-05-14-17-15-35.png
    Screenshot_2017-05-14-17-15-35.png
    228.2 KB · Views: 26

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
The kind you pictured is that we have. They were out of the smaller pellets. He has been growing about a gram or two a week so hoping this will pick things up!

Bambam1989

East Texas
Missed the edit cut off again. How often should I offer the mazuri? I was under the impression it was sub-par to greens so I didn't supply it much, maybe once or twice a month. I crushed up some pellets and moistened them and he is happily eating it now without me having to put it over his greens.
Mazuri can be offered about twice a week. Any more often and they may become obsessed with it and not want to eat their other foods.
Even on mazuri days I still give greens. I chop it all up and mix it in with the soaked mazuri. I soak my mazuri because it is another way to help ensure the tort stays hydrated.

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Awesome! I'll make sure to not do like today and feed it on a calcium day lol. He always eats less then it's dusted with calcium because if the taste change and today he's quite happy to have the pellets instead!!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Mazuri can be offered about twice a week. Any more often and they may become obsessed with it and not want to eat their other foods.
Even on mazuri days I still give greens. I chop it all up and mix it in with the soaked mazuri. I soak my mazuri because it is another way to help ensure the tort stays hydrated.

I agree. that's why I said Put it on a bed of I greens so he gets it all. since he's so small I was encouraging more Mazuri to help him grow faster. At that size they're fragile even vets have a hard time dealing with them when they're that small. I guess they could mix the Mazuri pellet with the greens so he has to get the greens with the Mazuri. They can always ween him off the Mazuri later when he's put on a few ounces...

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Large adult tortoises will eat dry Mazuri (Original formula NOT LS) babies no way. I would offer more softened Mazuri to help stimulate growth. Sounds like he may be being kept too dry? This is a guess. I believe even Russian babies need some humidity. A daily warm shallow bath is good too. Around 95 degree water.
Yes, Russian babies still need the higher humidity. I have a full grown female that must have been kept dry because she is promised. Only Russian I have seen promised. When they are adults, they don’t need as much humidity but still need some. As babies their shells are still growing. If they are kept to dry, they will pyramid. And they can also get sick for failure to thrive.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Yes, Russian babies still need the higher humidity. I have a full grown female that must have been kept dry because she is promised. Only Russian I have seen promised. When they are adults, they don’t need as much humidity but still need some. As babies their shells are still growing. If they are kept to dry, they will pyramid. And they can also get sick for failure to thrive.
They are promised? Lol I think auto correct has struck again! We knowyou meant to say pyramid[emoji6]

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
My Clyde was at 65g when he/she was at 3 month old. At 10 month old, he was at 180g… now he has been in the fridge for two months, and he still weighs the same. :)