Soaking question

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I've had Clyde about 3 months now making him a rough age of 6 months. Each morning when I wake up he gets a 15-20 minute soak. Some mornings he beats me awake but most of the time he's sitting bleary eyed at the front of his hide waiting on me.

My question is two part. First, I've gotten moved to third shift at work so I'll be working 1 p.m. to 10 p.m. Clyde is used to baths at 7 but some mornings we have a lie in so he doesn't get a bath till 10 in the morning or so. He is always up and around by then. Is there any harm in bathing him after he's been up just so long as it happens?

Second, in March I'm getting married so we will be out of town for about 4 days for the honey moon. We leave late enough I could bathe him on day 1 but the other 3 no one can bathe him (though someone will be round to feed him daily). As long as he has water in his enclosure will that harm him any?

Thanks!!

Picture of Clyde cause I like showing off his cuteness!
20180117_082022.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It doesn’t matter when he gets a soak although I find my tortoise is easier to soak in the morning. Simply because she’s still moving slow. :)

He will be fine missing a few soaks. He’d be fine without any water at all, frankly; Russians come from a verrrrry dry climate! But always best to keep a growing tortoise well hydrated.

Congratulations on your wedding!

KelseaB

5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Thank you for the information! I worry about my little guy :<3: but not having to try to train someone to soak him will be a lot less stressful on us. I'm show them how to mist his enclosure good so he has a higher humidity those days.