Feedback on enclosure

Luebbering10

Location (City and/or State)
Il
Hello! This is my first post, first sulcata tortoise, and first time building out an enclosure. I am looking for some constructive feedback for my new guy Frankie to live his best lift! In one pic you will see one tiny light that we were using until my husband could get home with the bigger lights. One light is a UVA/UVB and the other just emits heat.

Luebbering10

Il
Hello! This is my first post, first sulcata tortoise, and first time building out an enclosure. I am looking for some constructive feedback for my new guy Frankie to live his best lift! In one pic you will see one tiny light that we were using until my husband could get home with the bigger lights. One light is a UVA/UVB and the other just emits heat.

Attachments

• 25D8D081-EECC-4887-A007-78508BB2DB42.jpeg
    25D8D081-EECC-4887-A007-78508BB2DB42.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 6ED4E74B-2716-46E9-8BF6-6AC89C2023AF.jpeg
    6ED4E74B-2716-46E9-8BF6-6AC89C2023AF.jpeg
    554.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 9B44E563-C076-412B-9B2F-E16055401436.jpeg
    9B44E563-C076-412B-9B2F-E16055401436.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4

Luebbering10

Il

Attachments

• 4EA3D77D-76A6-494C-9D90-86216DF6CF06.jpeg
    4EA3D77D-76A6-494C-9D90-86216DF6CF06.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 3A223EC9-410C-4ED7-8C78-96D85A5B0C42.jpeg
    3A223EC9-410C-4ED7-8C78-96D85A5B0C42.jpeg
    511 KB · Views: 4
  • E7629C81-CFE1-4005-960B-C58D2DF20C9D.jpeg
    E7629C81-CFE1-4005-960B-C58D2DF20C9D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I'll leave to others as I don't know much about sulcatas but I would definitely add in more, deeper/darker hide spaces and put basking at one end so there's a hotter and cooler end (tho maybe you did that already??)

also moss is bad, ditch it...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Most of the care info out in the world for this species is all wrong. Looks like that is what you found.

Open tables don't work. You can't maintain the correct heat and humidity. That is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof on it.

Moss will be eaten and it can cause impaction. Remove that ASAP.

Mercury vapor bulbs are unreliable and can cause pyramiding. They should not be used.

The substrate is much too dry. Humidity needs to be 80+% at all times. That level of moisture will rot the wood in short order.

That water bowl isn't safe or suitable for tortoises. Use the terra cotta saucer for water, and add another one for food.

Lettuce is not good tortoise food.

Sorry for all the bad news, but months from now you will be so thankful that you learned this stuff now, BEFORE your tortoise is permanently disfigured by the dry conditions.

Here is the right info:

Luebbering10

Il
I'll leave to others as I don't know much about sulcatas but I would definitely add in more, deeper/darker hide spaces and put basking at one end so there's a hotter and cooler end (tho maybe you did that already??)

I do have a hotter side and a cooler side. I’ll get another hide. I was told how great the moss was for keeping humidity and a place for him to burrow, so good to know! Thank you!

Luebbering10

Il
Hello and welcome. Most of the care info out in the world for this species is all wrong. Looks like that is what you found.

Open tables don't work. You can't maintain the correct heat and humidity. That is like trying to heat your house in winter with no roof on it.

Moss will be eaten and it can cause impaction. Remove that ASAP.

Mercury vapor bulbs are unreliable and can cause pyramiding. They should not be used.

The substrate is much too dry. Humidity needs to be 80+% at all times. That level of moisture will rot the wood in short order.

That water bowl isn't safe or suitable for tortoises. Use the terra cotta saucer for water, and add another one for food.

Lettuce is not good tortoise food.

Sorry for all the bad news, but months from now you will be so thankful that you learned this stuff now, BEFORE your tortoise is permanently disfigured by the dry conditions.

Here is the right info:
Oh my gosh, so much to take in! What do you put them in? Everything I have seen is wood or glass and I’ve heard glass isn’t good. I obviously didn’t get him from a good breeder bc the moss was recommended by them. The water dish I have in there is a terra cotta saucer. The food goes in the green dish. I am guessing that is the one you at recommending removing? And I’ve heard romaine is ok in moderation. I guess I am reading from all of the wrong sources.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh my gosh, so much to take in! What do you put them in? Everything I have seen is wood or glass and I’ve heard glass isn’t good. I obviously didn’t get him from a good breeder bc the moss was recommended by them. The water dish I have in there is a terra cotta saucer. The food goes in the green dish. I am guessing that is the one you at recommending removing? And I’ve heard romaine is ok in moderation. I guess I am reading from all of the wrong sources.
We see this all the time. I always feel so bad for people. It is OBVIOUS that you care very much and went to great effort to do everything perfectly. Its so awful that the same wrong info is repeated decade after decade. As frustrating as this is now, imagine how bad it would be if you had not found us and the baby eventually died or or pyramided heavily, like almost all of them do.

Closed chamber enclosures are the way to go. Made from expanded PVC plastic. This is the same plastic that water pipes are made of. Non-toxic and inert material. Never rots from moisture, holds in heat really well. Animal Plastics ones are great, but it takes months to get one. I use @Markw84 Smart Enclosures. There are other makers out there, but I have no experience with them. You can build your own too, if you want to search out the expanded PVC sheets.

Luebbering10

Il
We see this all the time. I always feel so bad for people. It is OBVIOUS that you care very much and went to great effort to do everything perfectly. Its so awful that the same wrong info is repeated decade after decade. As frustrating as this is now, imagine how bad it would be if you had not found us and the baby eventually died or or pyramided heavily, like almost all of them do.

Closed chamber enclosures are the way to go. Made from expanded PVC plastic. This is the same plastic that water pipes are made of. Non-toxic and inert material. Never rots from moisture, holds in heat really well. Animal Plastics ones are great, but it takes months to get one. I use @Markw84 Smart Enclosures. There are other makers out there, but I have no experience with them. You can build your own too, if you want to search out the expanded PVC sheets.
Thank you for all of the info! We love this little guy so much and want him to live the best life. We live on a farm and cannot wait to watch him grow. We just want to make sure we do it properly for him. I appreciate your time!

Reactions: Tom

AmandaF

Congresbury
Welcome to the forum

The people here are knowledgeable & can help you.
Amanda