FEEDBACK ON MY IDEA

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alta Loma, CA
I want to be able to boost the temperature up around 1-2 degrees in my outside dirt and rock burrow/cave which the Desert Tortoises are in. This morning I checked the temperature of the burrow/cave with my temperature gun and the temperature was 39.9 degrees. It has been around 35-36 degrees here at night in Alta Loma, California, but is suppose to be back up to 40 at nighttime by Thursday).

I was wondering if I bought a mini ZooMed flat type heat rock (my husband said he could encase it in a little cage of wire so the tortoises cannot get to it or lie on it). I would put it just inside the cave/burrow and turn it on when the temperature at night is below 40 degrees. The tortoises are at the back of the cave which is far away from the entrance. Can anybody give me some feedback as to my idea?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That might do it, and it seems safe the way you are using it. Only your thermometers can tell you if its effective.

Let us know.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
ascott said:
Is the space underground? How deep down under ground level surface?

The cave is made with a base of cinder blocks that are below the level of the dirt. The top of the cinder blocks have a thick rebar enforced concrete slab on top. On top of the concrete slab is a lot dirt and a lot of rocks. It actually looks like a mountain cave. It stays cool inside during summer. The outside area has been contoured and has a drainage system so it stays dry inside. The tortoises have dug into the ground at the back of the cave. The cave is pretty deep as I cannot reach them. I will take a picture tomorrow if my husband doesn't already have one. He usually takes pictures of all his projects. At night I have been putting two cinder blocks to block the entrance to keep predators out until my husband makes the fence electrified. When my last tortoise decides he is going to finally go asleep for the winter I am going to shred some newspapers and put them in the entrance to help keep the cold air out. I also bought a tarp that I will put on top.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I wonder if the placing and removing of the bricks is triggering them to not fully go into rest?

I mean, the house you describe is good for summertime (I am familiar with the set up) it allows coolness from the dirt cover and gives a way for the tort to either go in deeper to cool off or closer to the entrance to warm up without becoming too hot...however, this set up does not do well (in my experience here in the high desert, where night temps can and do get below 20 degrees during winter) as a winter hibernacle....you may want to set up a more controlled environment...