Feeding apple

Pure Tortoise Power

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Hey all. So I want to feed my sully small pieces of apple. I know feeding this occasionally won't cause any health problems. But I'm worried that it will become a picky eater where it wants to eat nothing but apples after trying it. Or am I just being too paranoid?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sulcatas should not be fed fruit. A small piece every so often as a treat is ok, but not as a regular part of his diet. Too much fruit causes a parasite bloom. Actually a tortoise doesn't understand the meaning of 'treat' so he won't miss it if you never offer it ever again.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Sulcatas should not be fed fruit. A small piece every so often as a treat is ok, but not as a regular part of his diet. Too much fruit causes a parasite bloom. Actually a tortoise doesn't understand the meaning of 'treat' so he won't miss it if you never offer it ever again.
Ah that relieved my worries. Thanks

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi, @Pure Tortoise Power and welcome to the forum.

Personally, I would not start such a "treat." I used to feed Oli lettuce after which he would eat nothing but that, and got "addicted" to it. Furthermore, he gave me a really hard time till he began eating mazuri. I would take care. (Better be safe than sorry).

Any pics of your tort and his enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I also would not feed any fruit to a sulcata. Its not good for them. All the sugar messes with their gut flora and fauna.

A small amount once in a while won't kill them, but its not good for them either.

If you must give them treats, offer a hibiscus flower or dandelion. How about an opuntia pad.

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
I also would not feed any fruit to a sulcata. Its not good for them. All the sugar messes with their gut flora and fauna.

A small amount once in a while won't kill them, but its not good for them either.

If you must give them treats, offer a hibiscus flower or dandelion. How about an opuntia pad.
I see. Thank you for the advice

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Hi, @Pure Tortoise Power and welcome to the forum.

Personally, I would not start such a "treat." I used to feed Oli lettuce after which he would eat nothing but that, and got "addicted" to it. Furthermore, he gave me a really hard time till he began eating mazuri. I would take care. (Better be safe than sorry).

Any pics of your tort and his enclosure?
Yes I know I need to change the uvb light. The temp is 27c on the cool side and 35 on the warm side. Basking spot 38.

Anyway thanks for the advice. 1546912882974.jpegIMG-20181230-WA0000.jpeg1547603195934.jpeg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello and welcome!
Don't let your sully test your kindness to keep him/her fed. Because they will.
I wanted to care for Opo so bad that I thought if I found something Opo would eat Opo was happy and me to.
Then I came to TFO and found all the things Opo should eat. So after reading asking questions I learned to play hardball with Opo. I have 8 or 9 foods Opo is supposed to eat. If Opo doesn't eat in the morning I leave it until Opo does.
Good luck and remember that kindness is your weakness when it comes to feeding them.