Feeding Flower Petals

Mrs.D

Location (City and/or State)
Klamath Falls, OR
Since receiving my gift of two torties and telling my friends that they like dandelions and rose petals, many folks are collecting petals for me but I'm not sure if all flower petals are good. I currently have a small bag of tulip petals and was wondering if they are okay for my guys.

Are there any commonly grown garden flowers that are NOT okay for the guys?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'd be careful accepting food items like weeds and flower pedals from " friends" although they mean well. You never know their source, and many plants, bushes, weeds get sprayed (oftentimes unknowingly) with harmful insectices and pesticides, etc. There was a posting not too long ago on this forum about a tort who got sick from eating up the tulip bulbs that went unnoticed in the garden. Be safe, pick your own, and check edible, nonedible.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Violets, mallows, hollyhocks, rose of Sharon are all good, but you must be sure they aren't fertilized or sprayed.

No bulbs.

Mrs.D

Klamath Falls, OR
Thanks for the input. Is there someplace I can find a list of what flowers are okay? My husband is collecting garden ideas for our future home and I'd like him to plant things our new kids can eat.

Mrs.D

Klamath Falls, OR
Holy cow!! What a great sight, Lismar79!!! I have bookmarked it AND printed their free booklet of edible plants! My hubby now has something to work with!

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
thanks I will look I'm trying to find out about a plant called "Creeping Charlie" An aggressive ,low growing ,
vining plant My yard is nothing but this Some sites say not good and other people say they had no trouble with letting their tortoise eat it

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Holy cow!! What a great sight, Lismar79!!! I have bookmarked it AND printed their free booklet of edible plants! My hubby now has something to work with!

I've also four it helpful to see what plants thrive and grow in your area already and try and match them to plants in those lists. A local nursery will be a huge help in this. You can hand them the list and ask which ones will do well in your area.

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
Thanks guys They're both really good ideas So far I haven't taken her out much since she's only about 3-4 months old and would rather hide And now the weather is too cool I did make her a little enclosure with as little of the plant in it as possible but still worried when able to take out again I won't get freaky about it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
mine love rose petals and hibiscus flowers. Plant a couple of hibiscus plants in your garden & in a few years you will have more flowers them you know what to do with. As long as you trim them back each year

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
thank for the idea. I will definitely be planting next year. Does this go for the big flower Hibiscus that is called the "Dinner Plate" too? My mom has these I have a big yard full of perennial gardens but am now planning to turn some of them into a tortoise garden What Fun! Found on TFO about the Rose Of Sharon's being good and have tried her on them Boy does she like them

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hibiscus flower & Rose of Sharon are considered tortoise crack

sue white

5 Year Member
Central IL
they're starting to die back for the winter here in Illinois so she will have to go cold "tortoise" soon

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had someone at work bring me rose petals for my Redfoot clan for months.
One day she mentioned that they came from a friends flower shop. I'd never asked.
(They were spray painted, hair sprayed and very pesticide laced.):eek:
Luckily, no tortoise was harmed...That I can tell.