Feeding my tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
Not really. Have you changed the substrate of his enclosure? You need to remove all of the chips, reptile carpet, etc. as soon as possible. He could just not be going to the bathroom because he has not eaten...He will not really defecate if he has not ingested anything.
Something else that is recommended to prevent and help blockages, increase his fiber intake. The diet you've been feeding him is rather low in fiber; try to take some grass clippings from your lawn and feed it to him, if he starts eating again.

I've tried feeding him grass quite a bit in the past months I have had him, he always leaves it alone and has never eaten it. Do you think I could sprinkle salad style over his food to give him more fiber? If you haven't heard of it, the link is below.

http://www.tortoisesupply.com/salad-style-food-topper/

If he gets to the point I must give it to him, where do I buy it and how exactly does it go in his moth the most calm way that won't scare him or stress him out?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Miami, Florida
The stuff you posted is very good food, and yes it is packed with fiber, which is exactly what he should be eating. I would recommend mixing it into his food as much as he will eat, as it has all of the correct grasses they need.
There is probably vegetable oil in your kitchen :). If not....Publix. You would need a syringe with a very small tip, and some method of getting that tip into his mouth. It would be difficult, to say the least, with a tortoise that small. You have to have a way to make their head stay out while you inject it....Unless it turns to be no other option, I would not attempt it. The dosage amounts need to be figured out, also.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
The stuff you posted is very good food, and yes it is packed with fiber, which is exactly what he should be eating. I would recommend mixing it into his food as much as he will eat, as it has all of the correct grasses they need.
There is probably vegetable oil in your kitchen :). If not....Publix. You would need a syringe with a very small tip, and some method of getting that tip into his mouth. It would be difficult, to say the least, with a tortoise that small. You have to have a way to make their head stay out while you inject it....Unless it turns to be no other option, I would not attempt it. The dosage amounts need to be figured out, also.

Okay, I'm not going to use it right away, but I will use it if he isn't getting better. I read that sometimes before pneumonia they have a loss of appetite. Should I look for bubbles near the nose or let him sleep?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I highly doubt pneumonia if you have been keeping his temps up. Bubbles near the nose would also indicate a respiratory infection, so if you see them its cause for worry.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
I highly doubt pneumonia if you have been keeping his temps up. Bubbles near the nose would also indicate a respiratory infection, so if you see them its cause for worry.

Alright I'll look really quick

RedfootsRule said:

Good news! I didn't see any bubbles or anything!:)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Peter, I'm not going to explain the molecular composition of mineral oil and vegetable oil. They are not the same, even if they both act as lubricants. Vegetable oil contains properties that can be absorbed through the intestines that are not good for torts. If u don't believe me, post a thread about, and see what others say. I have used an eyedropper with mineral oil and inserted up my baby's but when he ate over 20 small rocks. Read my thread on the whole thing. Anyway Amber, this is what happens when two people have conflicting information. Sometimes that information can prevent the proper remedies to be done to the detriment of your baby. Let' just wait until tomorrow, and if you have to administer mineral oil, pm Tom and get his opinion, ok? Btw no hyperemic needle is used to squirt mineral oil up the rear. A syringe with no needle is often used...just to be clear.

RedfootsRule said:
sibi said:
You would need to get"mineral oil," not vegetable oil...it's not the same. And, you can use a syringe or an eyedropper. Orally is not the only way to administer mineral oil. You can insert it through his rear end. But, let's just see what happens tomorrow. Obviously, if you need to give him the mineral oil, you'd want to do it in a way that's less stressful for your baby. But, sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

Vegetable oil and mineral oil have exactly the same effect, and are both effective in the treatment of impactions. Through the rear end would require a hypodermic needle...Which is not something a beginner should attempt.

Amber_123

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Peter, I'm not going to explain the molecular composition of mineral oil and vegetable oil. They are not the same, even if they both act as lubricants. Vegetable oil contains properties that can be absorbed through the intestines that are not good for torts. If u don't believe me, post a thread about, and see what others say. I have used an eyedropper with mineral oil and inserted up my baby's but when he ate over 20 small rocks. Read my thread on the whole thing. Anyway Amber, this is what happens when two people have conflicting information. Sometimes that information can prevent the proper remedies to be done to the detriment of your baby. Let' just wait until tomorrow, and if you have to administer mineral oil, pm Tom and get his opinion, ok?

RedfootsRule said:
sibi said:
You would need to get"mineral oil," not vegetable oil...it's not the same. And, you can use a syringe or an eyedropper. Orally is not the only way to administer mineral oil. You can insert it through his rear end. But, let's just see what happens tomorrow. Obviously, if you need to give him the mineral oil, you'd want to do it in a way that's less stressful for your baby. But, sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

Vegetable oil and mineral oil have exactly the same effect, and are both effective in the treatment of impactions. Through the rear end would require a hypodermic needle...Which is not something a beginner should attempt.
Alright I will! Sadly tomorrow I will be at school but I will be on here talking to him about it! So hopefully he knows why my baby isn't eating :(

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Peter, I'm not going to explain the molecular composition of mineral oil and vegetable oil. They are not the same, even if they both act as lubricants. Vegetable oil contains properties that can be absorbed through the intestines that are not good for torts. If u don't believe me, post a thread about, and see what others say. I have used an eyedropper with mineral oil and inserted up my baby's but when he ate over 20 small rocks. Read my thread on the whole thing. Anyway Amber, this is what happens when two people have conflicting information. Sometimes that information can prevent the proper remedies to be done to the detriment of your baby. Let' just wait until tomorrow, and if you have to administer mineral oil, pm Tom and get his opinion, ok?

Sibi, the molecular composition is most certainly different. It matters little to the treatment of an impaction, because nutrients are not required. It is basically buttering it up to slip it out...Thats its only effect. It does not absorb. Just like mineral oil, it coats the intestines.
I'm getting increasingly tired of you telling people to completely ignore my opinions and just contact Tom. This forum is for people to ask questions and the questions to be answered. I, myself, will feel free to answer them. I've been trying to help Amber for the past few days via pm, but your constant implication that my help should be ignored is getting very annoying. Take it elsewhere, please.
Tom's opinion is not the only one, and I'm getting increasingly tired of you saying it.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I have never said that Tom's opinions/advices are the only ones. Obviously, I give advice based mostly from experience. I also never said that your advice is worthless. But, my interest is solely on Amber's baby, not on our egos. So long as Amber requests my opinion through her PM, I will oblige. If it differs from your opinion, I invite her to check with others, as you are so fond of saying. By all means, ask questions, ask everyone who is willing to respond. Your opinion is not the only one she should inquire about, wouldn't you agree? u get so offended when others challenge what u say instead of checking the validity of someone else's opinion. I don't want to fight u on every issue. If we disagree, let's just agree to disagree, civilly, ok?

RedfootsRule said:

Sibi, the molecular composition is most certainly different. It matters little to the treatment of an impaction, because nutrients are not required. It is basically buttering it up to slip it out...Thats its only effect. It does not absorb. Just like mineral oil, it coats the intestines.
I'm getting increasingly tired of you telling people to completely ignore my opinions and just contact Tom. This forum is for people to ask questions and the questions to be answered. I, myself, will feel free to answer them. I've been trying to help Amber for the past few days via pm, but your constant implication that my help should be ignored is getting very annoying. Take it elsewhere, please.
Tom's opinion is not the only one, and I'm getting increasingly tired of you saying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.