Feeding sulcatas

Darth_shuffles

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I have a baby sulcata, and I know exactly what to expect 10 years down the road, I also know what to feed, and how often, but how much by weight do they eat as far as things like Timothy hay? Like how long would a 40lb bale last for one adult?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a baby sulcata, and I know exactly what to expect 10 years down the road, I also know what to feed, and how often, but how much by weight do they eat as far as things like Timothy hay? Like how long would a 40lb bale last for one adult?
I've never seen a little 40 pound bale. Do they sell it that way? I get the full size bales, that are about 100 pounds. 16 flakes in a bale. My four adults eat a flake of hay in about 5-7 days. My 3 SA leopard girls finish off a flake in about that same time, but it depends on how much other stuff I'm feeding them. If I give them mulberry branches or cactus pads, they will eat less hay that day.

With 10 hay eating adults, one full size bales lasts me about 8 weeks on average. They eat a little more in summer and a little less in winter.

Darth_shuffles

Pennsylvania
yeah tractor supply sells them for rabbit rearing 20 for a 40lb bale of Timothy, is that the kind you buy? Is there a cheaper grass hay out there?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
yeah tractor supply sells them for rabbit rearing 20 for a 40lb bale of Timothy, is that the kind you buy? Is there a cheaper grass hay out there?
I don't like timothy hay for tortoises. I find it too stemmy. I prefer orchard grass hay or bermuda hay. Here I pay $16 for a big bale of bermuda or $24 for a big bale of orchard grass at the local feed store. They actually deliver it for me with all of our other stuff we order. I think timothy sells for the same amount as orchard grass hay here, but I haven't checked lately since I don't use it.