Female aggression

Pzsizsu

Location (City and/or State)
Pest
Hi guys,
I need some help I guess!
A week ago I adopted two, extremely neglected Cherryheads. They are both 14 yo, having serious deformities, healthy issues, etc. We just started to put everithing under control/treatment.

They were kept together in an extremely small, glass terrarium for 14 years.
We do not know lot about their history so I'm not sure if it started just now or years before.
There were already injuries on the male when I took them.

The issue is: the female is continously attacking the male, seriously biting his head and knocking him so aggressively, he tries to escape, whenever he has space.

She is NOT gravid, even when outside in huge space, she goes and finds him..I dont really understand clearly why is she acting like this.. I separated them for now :/

Any help would be apprechieted!

Pzsizsu

Pest
Tortoises don't do well in pairs. They do best alone or in groups with the correct male to female ratio. The best course is to separate the couple to separate enclosures.
Make sence!
Unfortunatelly they seem to have mycoplasma also ( waiting for the results, but symphtomes are pretty clear :/ ), for sure I can not put them into my group later :(

Thank you very much!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's absolutely essential to separate them permanently, and to completely isolate them from the other tortoises. Please stay with us and let us know your progress!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
MycoPlasma is resistant to antibiotics because it has no cell wall. If there is to be antibiotics it will take a combination of them and monitoring to see if they may need to be changed. I feel your pain my family has just went through a MycoPlasma episode but in a human. They WILL need to be separated forever though.