Microwave Oven

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I can't remember if I already told you this story or not. If so, please feel free to scroll and click on by.

Many, many years ago, like way back in the 1960's, my husband bought us one of those there newfangled Sharp Carousel Microwave ovens. I've been using it lo these many years with absolutely NO problems. . . appx. 59 or 60 years. A couple years ago I fell and broke a bone or two and my daughter had to come over a couple time a day to tend to the animals. She felt my microwave was dangerous, being so old, so she bought me a Hamilton Beach to replace the Sharp.

So here we are, two years later, and I've had to go to my friend Amazon and purchase a new microwave. The Hamilton Beach was peeling the protective paint coating off the floor and exposing the raw aluminum underneath. I never saw any arcing, but I really didn't feel safe using it anymore what with the metal showing and all. I still have the Sharp, sitting in my garage, waiting to be taken to the recycling center, but it's too heavy for me to lift up into the place the microwave sits in the kitchen.

Let's see a show of hands. What microwave do you have, and how old is it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a sharp. Not very old, maybe 10-14 years old.
I have probably had 3 or 4 microwaves just since 1992.
At least another one or two before that.
You should have never let your daughter replace your original one. You will never get one again that will last that long. Appliances now days are not made as well and are considered throw aways.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ha! I was gifted a Sharp by a very old lady who didn't use it anymore. She had it for over 15 years at least. It worked fine for me for 2 years until a power surge zapped it. During those 2 years, I got a new one (different brand) that stopped working after less than one year. So now I have no working microwave. Not sure which one to try and get fixed.