Is tap water okay for soaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Is it okay for Russian tortoises to have tap water for their soaking time?
I read they shouldn't have it due to the chlorine and minerals and such. I usually fill a couple of old milk containers with tap water and let them sit for at least 24 hours before giving any of it to my RT. when I soak him I usually take that water and heat it up in the microwave to get it warm but wondered if I could just use warm water straight from the faucet instead for his soaks.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I wouldn't worry about it, personally, unless you live near Chernobyl. What do you give him for drinking water?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Is fluoridated water safe for tortoises? Just playing devils advocate here, I live on a clean well.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Wait...tap water is ok???...*sighs*, go ahead and laugh at me, i been buying my tort bottled water....*insert noob comment here*

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
For his drinking water, I give him the tap water that has been in the jug for more than 24 hours.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are such a wide variety of water sources and water quality around the world that I think this depends on where you are. Personally I use Barb's rule too. If its safe for my little girl to bathe in and drink from, then its safe for my tortoises too.

I use tap for drinking and for soaking, but I rinse them with micron filtered rain water after soaking. I use the rainwater for shell spraying too. I do this to prevent hard water stains.

Camilo543

5 Year Member
I use tap water I've left out for at least 24 hours for drinking and soaking.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I keep a couple of jugs in the tort room for refilling their drinking water. But for soaking, it comes direct from the hot water heater with a little cold tap water added.

I've thought that most of the fluorine will have dissipated while in the water heater. And that the small amount of cold tap water add to the soak tub will not be harmful to the torts. Anyone have any other ideas?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If your tap water is safe for you, then it should be safe for your tort too. We have very hard water now. For the first 20 years of his life with us the water was fluoridated.

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
You should be just fine with tap water. I have/had turtles and torts and we always use tap water. Has never seemed to bother them at all.

jhongsen

5 Year Member
Indonesia
so tap water is okay for soaking our tort? i used bottled water mix with some tap water....

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: Is tap water okay for soaking?

jhongsen said:
so tap water is okay for soaking our tort? i used bottled water mix with some tap water....

That's just expensive. Mineral water is arguably worse than tap water as it has a very high mineral content.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jhongsen said:

I have no idea what the testing or quality control measures are for tap water in Indonesia. But again, if its safe for you to drink and bathe in, then its should be fine for your tortoise too.

Status
Not open for further replies.