Female had clogged nose

innocent

Location (City and/or State)
Acton, Ca
I keep a pretty close eye on my torts these days. I hose them with water just about every day. This morning I was distraught to find my girl had what I thought was a booger. I heated up some water and started a soak then poured water over her gently and softened everything up. I gently as possible pulled on what I thought was a dried booger and this cattail came out. I have read a lot about how to handle these situations right on this forum so thanks.20230722_085111.jpg20230722_085128.jpg20230722_085347.jpg

Hey while I have you guys on the line here, do her two back nails need trimming? On both rear feet two of her nails have gotten a little longer then I like. Do any of you think they can cause discomfort walking? Her front nails are nice and short and I have never trimmed any tort nails before.20230722_090115.jpg20230722_085759.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
I keep a pretty close eye on my torts these days. I hose them with water just about every day. This morning I was distraught to find my girl had what I thought was a booger. I heated up some water and started a soak then poured water over her gently and softened everything up. I gently as possible pulled on what I thought was a dried booger and this cattail came out. I have read a lot about how to handle these situations right on this forum so thanks.View attachment 359319View attachment 359320View attachment 359321

Hey while I have you guys on the line here, do her two back nails need trimming? On both rear feet two of her nails have gotten a little longer then I like. Do any of you think they can cause discomfort walking? Her front nails are nice and short and I have never trimmed any tort nails before.View attachment 359322View attachment 359323
Yvonne apparently doesn't agree, but those two longer nails are borderline on being too long, IMHO. If it were my tortoise, I would take about 1/8" or a little less off those two longest nails. Just use a human toenail clipper.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The nails look normal to me. I always had noticed my Gopherus tort's always have borderline long back nails....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Especially since you think it's female. Females' nails on the rear feet are always longer. The presumption is because they use their rear feet to dig nests.

innocent

Acton, Ca
Thanks for the great info. She is a definitely female. The male I have has the same nails that are longer then the rest but not quite that long. If they look fine for the most part I will just keep a eye that they don't get much longer.