Nail Trimming

jodemiah

How often should I be trimming my Hermanns nails? I took her to a vet and was told "you don't need to"??? I have a hard time believing that one.
Also, any tips on what type of clippers to use?
Thanks.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Many keepers don't need to. They wear their nails naturally walking over different substrates and digging and climbing. Nails potentially never require trimming if they get a lot of exercise on the right materials. Some tortoises do require nail trimming, but that is more common in animals with MBD or without access to large enclosures (there are exceptions to this too though).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never needed to trim a tortoises nails. Its a very rare thing. In this case, I tend to agree with the vet.

Want to post a pic and we can tell you what we think?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
No trimming here either, but if you do need to the scissor type clippers generally cause less damage to nails than guillotine style like most dog clippers.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
For trimming nails and overgrown beaks, I use a Dremel. I have found that the speed and heat of this tool is safer (in experienced hands) than other clippers. This is not something for amateurs to experiment with. If you are not confident with this tool it is better to leave the job in the hands of your vet.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Those look like normal tortoise nails to me. I wouldn't do anything to them.

natt

I have lots of rocks in Noah's enclosure to help keep her nails down as she explores and climbs about. I also feed her off slate which plays a part in keeping her beak down too.